East West Marine narrow boats

davidR

Featured Posts

I've got an East West 57' and it's superb!

Well built, very well finished, fantastic amount of storage space and handles beautifully.

Only downside was the original leaking wooden framed windows, but I'm getting a full set of aluminum replacement windows free from East West as part of the deal.

They only fit aluminum now.

Don't think you could beat them for value for money.

There are no "non standard fittings".

All the parts are sourced from uk suppliers (mainly Aquafax, Barrus, Webasto etc) and shipped out for fitting, and come with full uk warranty's starting from day of purchase of the boat.

The only exception i have found is the Chinese made light fittings (takes standard bulbs) and the shower tray (a standard size)

Mine came with full documentation and valid RCD

We are viewing a s/hand East West Marine boat next week built in China. All marine parts, engine heating galley equipt etc are UK made but I just wondered about the hull and handling. Has anyone any knowledge of these boats, good or bad?

Thanks

No practical experience I am afraid but if you are in the area and want a comparison with the boat you are viewing go to Wigrams Turn Marina (South Warwickshire) and some at Whiltons Marina not far away. Whilton have a couple there (new I think) for sale. It might serve as a comparison on spec and price.

You can see the boats in question here.

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/New-Boats/d...st-West-39.aspx

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/New-Boats/d...st-West-44.aspx

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/New-Boats/d...st-West-57.aspx

Edited by churchward

We saw a lot when we were cruising in the summer, but only one moving.

A brief discussion with the owner said he was very happy with his. The biggest gripe he could come up with was the extensive use of bamboo in the fit out, and how impossible it was to drill when he tried adding a full length mirror. (I know, I know! Why on earth do you need a full length mirror on a narrowboat).

I generally like the idea, but feel they have been built with too square a cabin, with not enough tumblehome. No doubt they are roomier inside as a result, but they must be more vulnerable to bridgeholes, and possibly even broad tunnels when passing.

Price wise they are extremely competitive, and I expect to see many more being imported.

I've not seen East west ones reviewed in a boat mag, though I'd be surprised if they hadn't. I did see the Chinese ones first imported by Braunston Marina. These are much odder, with no stem post, and much external stainless steel. The East west ones, other than the boxy cabin, are very conventional, externally, although still with some stainless fitments.

I know I've got no room to talk being the owner of an LB with its distinctive "chuffer train" profile, but them there vertical cabin sides look a bit odd. It's not natural, I tell 'ee.

It's the 'chicken shed' cabin style. As you say its just not natural and I can't help thinking it's liable to be more prone to damage on bridgeholes.