Nottingham

redfastlad

Featured Posts

Ok fans as yo may be aware i write in warning boaters of any problems i encounter on my travels, but i am called all sorts of names (bigot, rassist zenophobic) and worse but as i was trained at the Geoffrey Boycott school of correction and never ever having been proven to be even close to achieving any of the above accolades let alone understanding what they mean i will try once more to warn boaters of a problem i encountered on Friday 24th.After mooring outside Sainsburys i secured the boat with 2 lorry drivers hitches this then allows perfect Sat TV reception and even if boats go past too fast we dont loose the picture as our boat dosent move, so we were alarmed to find our boat loose, the boat behind had swung into the wall on the far bank both of us had had our ropes loosend off at 2-30 in the moorning. I walked up towards Castle Marina and found 4 more boats had had thier ropes let off, i retied all the boats and went back to bed, this incident has been reported to BW and i await a reply.Seems that talking to people this is becomming a regular thing in that area and it seem s that should you moor on the bollards that this is what they target,so if you moor there take some chain and secure your boat with it.Now fans here,s the bit that will get me the replys i so love to read, Castle Marina Charge to moor on thier bank but hardly anybody bothers to moor there as i think it,s a fiver a night, but if you moor further on where its free you get trouble strange that one eh? but im sure some of the more educated members will tear me to pieces about this so fire away.

Ps, Just had a fab time down the Trent at Stoke lock fishing, partying, drinking, sunshine and no better moorings anywhere on the river.

Regards

Geoffrey Boycott

Ok fans as yo may be aware i write in warning boaters of any problems i encounter on my travels, but i am called all sorts of names (bigot, rassist zenophobic) and worse but as i was trained at the Geoffrey Boycott school of correction and never ever having been proven to be even close to achieving any of the above accolades let alone understanding what they mean i will try once more to warn boaters of a problem i encountered on Friday 24th.After mooring outside Sainsburys i secured the boat with 2 lorry drivers hitches this then allows perfect Sat TV reception and even if boats go past too fast we dont loose the picture as our boat dosent move, so we were alarmed to find our boat loose, the boat behind had swung into the wall on the far bank both of us had had our ropes loosend off at 2-30 in the moorning. I walked up towards Castle Marina and found 4 more boats had had thier ropes let off, i retied all the boats and went back to bed, this incident has been reported to BW and i await a reply.Seems that talking to people this is becomming a regular thing in that area and it seem s that should you moor on the bollards that this is what they target,so if you moor there take some chain and secure your boat with it.Now fans here,s the bit that will get me the replys i so love to read, Castle Marina Charge to moor on thier bank but hardly anybody bothers to moor there as i think it,s a fiver a night, but if you moor further on where its free you get trouble strange that one eh? but im sure some of the more educated members will tear me to pieces about this so fire away.

Ps, Just had a fab time down the Trent at Stoke lock fishing, partying, drinking, sunshine and no better moorings anywhere on the river.

Regards

Geoffrey Boycott

We have a bigger problem with British Waterways releasing boats off moorings, let alone a few scrotes.....

When I first visited Nottingham by boat, I was warned not to moor outside Sainsburys or the magistrates court. I found mooring further down near the pub and marina....and I had no trouble. I've since spoken to several who have moored outside sainsburys without trouble.

It's the same everywhere........ok for most of the year except when the 'little darlings' get bored towards the end of the school holidays........maybe hanging from the end of a rope by the neck might???? get rid of their boredom <_<

It's nothing new and is just one of the irritating, but essentially harmless pastimes of bored kids.

I'll second that... <_<

I also

Now if you had been tied up down on the embankment it could have been a problem, requiring suggested use of chains etc but I fail to see why its so alarming on a canal.........

We have moored up on one spot on the Ashby a total of four weeks over many weeks and never had a problem there (got talking with the local youths), but we recently heard someone was there in their boat, a group of youths kept them talking at the front, whilst they entered the back of the boat and took several items (handbag etc).

I suppose it pays to keep your back doors locked, but like anywhere we had several people saying 'don't stay there, you get robbed' etc, and then you find it's actually not that bad and really if you are polite to people (even the little scrotes!), you have far less of it. We did see a group hanging around who were looking at the boats, but they didn't do anything, as you said, just rather bored!!!

You can get your ropes untied anywhere on the system. It's nothing new and is just one of the irritating, but essentially harmless pastimes of bored kids.

You might as well say "beware the uk canal network!"

Read the beware part again!!! this was 2-30 in the morning and kids would have made a noise had it been them, once again attitudes like yours " its nothing new" is what is wrong with this country, if we are aware we can avoid it. I am responsible enough to have reported this incident to BW who in turn will ask the police to patrol the area (be it on mountain bikes) at these times.So why should i accept loutish behaviour as acceptable all over the network ? sorry you need to sell your boat and start building a fortress if thats your opinion.

Read the beware part again!!! this was 2-30 in the morning and kids would have made a noise had it been them, once again attitudes like yours " its nothing new" is what is wrong with this country, if we are aware we can avoid it. I am responsible enough to have reported this incident to BW who in turn will ask the police to patrol the area (be it on mountain bikes) at these times.So why should i accept loutish behaviour as acceptable all over the network ? sorry you need to sell your boat and start building a fortress if thats your opinion.

Who do you think it was then? The rope pixies? Or maybe the immigrants?

If you're spending all your time worrying about evildoers, and 'warning' the less paranoid, then maybe it's you who needs to build a fortress.

I have learnt not to believe a single word of these apocryphal tales unless they are first hand accounts. Have you heard about those instances were hypodermic syringes have been taped below the handrails on the canal access steps, but this one is true, I know someone who has seen it.

And it was on a canal.......The worst that can happen is you drift to the other side of the cut, out of further harm's reach..... B)

Sorry it seems people who reply on this forum have obviously never been on the Beeston cut in Nottingham, should you think the worst thing that can happen to you is drifting to the other side of the cut, you really ought to have a cruise down there. Never does a week go by without someone gets robbed our friends went into Sainsburys shopping and returned to find all the equipment on the roof of the boat missing,last week the local vagrant who sleeps on the bank and is totally harmless was kicked up and down the towpath, i could go on but i will be accussed of scare mongering, but its true and it it only gets worse year on year.Should BW remove some of the unlicensed boats we may be able to moor in some better places and feel safer but BW inform me that action is being taken against several unlicensed boats, but there are now about 15 tax dodgers on this stretch at the moment.

Sorry it seems people who reply on this forum have obviously never been on the Beeston cut in Nottingham, should you think the worst thing that can happen to you is drifting to the other side of the cut, you really ought to have a cruise down there. Never does a week go by without someone gets robbed our friends went into Sainsburys shopping and returned to find all the equipment on the roof of the boat missing,last week the local vagrant who sleeps on the bank and is totally harmless was kicked up and down the towpath, i could go on but i will be accussed of scare mongering, but its true and it it only gets worse year on year.Should BW remove some of the unlicensed boats we may be able to moor in some better places and feel safer but BW inform me that action is being taken against several unlicensed boats, but there are now about 15 tax dodgers on this stretch at the moment.

But your shock horror headline was that you'd been set adrift (there was a spate of rope cutting in Braunston a while back, still put down to kids rather than the towpath goblins though).

Maybe if you'd mentioned a tramp getting a kicking you wouldn't have got such a negative response. I assume the tramp was English or you'd be pinning a medal on the thugs responsible.

This is not peculiar to the canals/rivers. Its all over the uk. Be thankful for small mercies.

notting hill carnival last weekend the police were over the moon that crime was down. 230 arrests i think compared with 240 last year. This year only 2 shootings and 1 stabbing.

Boats have had their ropes cut/untied since the canals were built.

I had my boat screwed at the long term morrings at cropedy in the late 80's. Nothing new im sad to say.

When I first visited Nottingham by boat, I was warned not to moor outside Sainsburys or the magistrates court. I found mooring further down near the pub and marina....and I had no trouble. I've since spoken to several who have moored outside sainsburys without trouble.

When we visited Nottingham, we moored outside the Exchange pub/restaurant near Castle Marina with no trouble at all. Apparently, there is CCTV around there.

I always have a chain and 2 padlocks available for use for securely mooring in iffy places. Once when we were in Worcester and having been untied 2 years previously, I decided to chain the boat at the back end. The lockie came along and mentioned that I might have "hung up" on the chain until I showed him the extra 8' of the stuff lying on the after deck.

The untying incident is the only bother we have had in 6 years apart from the very occassional stone thowing session...even then it was only a few small stones and badly aimed at that. And the most annoying thing about the stone throwing was that my catapult was out of ammo!

Colin

But your shock horror headline was that you'd been set adrift (there was a spate of rope cutting in Braunston a while back, still put down to kids rather than the towpath goblins though).

Maybe if you'd mentioned a tramp getting a kicking you wouldn't have got such a negative response. I assume the tramp was English or you'd be pinning a medal on the thugs responsible.

should i have mentioned our friends who went shopping in sainburys and came back to find the roof of thier boat stripped, painted water cans boat hook pole etc, the incident when the druggie attached the boater with a motorcycle chain the police arrived and arrested the boater,the old couple who arrived at sainsburys to shop the man was attacked with his lock key and eneded up in the queens medical centre and bw had to take the boat back to Sawley marina for the wife to live on,its fun in Nottingham in it????????? still we are only trying to get on the Trent then we can chalk----- on the lot of em and moor where we like.

Regards

.post edited by Bernie.

Ok smart arse should i have mentioned our friends who went shopping in sainburys and came back to find the roof of thier boat stripped, painted water cans boat hook pole etc, the incident when the druggie attached the boater with a motorcycle chain the police arrived and arrested the boater,the old couple who arrived at sainsburys to shop the man was attacked with his lock key and eneded up in the queens medical centre and bw had to take the boat back to Sawley marina for the wife to live on,its fun in Nottingham in it????????? still we are only trying to get on the Trent then we can chalk F--k on the lot of em and moor where we like.

Regards

Geoffrey Boycott (Chief Spoksman) equal rights,,,,,,,,,, go home to london you southern softie real men bat for ENGLAND

ohh red

you are goining to burn in hell for all this

you will have upset the mighty boosh

who will banish you to his ignore list

repent sinner repent

Ok smart arse should i have mentioned our friends who went shopping in sainburys and came back to find the roof of thier boat stripped, painted water cans boat hook pole etc, the incident when the druggie attached the boater with a motorcycle chain the police arrived and arrested the boater,the old couple who arrived at sainsburys to shop the man was attacked with his lock key and eneded up in the queens medical centre and bw had to take the boat back to Sawley marina for the wife to live on,its fun in Nottingham in it????????? still we are only trying to get on the Trent then we can chalk F--k on the lot of em and moor where we like.

Regards

Geoffrey Boycott (Chief Spoksman) equal rights,,,,,,,,,, go home to london you southern softie real men bat for ENGLAND

Mr Boycott. Your original post didnt bother with any of the above, You were only concerned that your ropes were attacked in the early hours of the morning, and then your suggestion was that maybe this had something to do with Castle Marina because you think they wish to frighten more people into using their charged overnight moorings and i quote

"Now fans here,s the bit that will get me the replys i so love to read, Castle Marina Charge to moor on thier bank but hardly anybody bothers to moor there as i think it,s a fiver a night, but if you moor further on where its free you get trouble strange that one eh?"

You obviously do think the worst of people to suggest a marina would bother to go out at 2.30 in the morning just to drum up buisiness for their moorings.....dont you think maybe the fact it was friday night and you were the victim of some drunk clot or clots would be a more logical explanation rather than accuse the marina?

You may call me smart arse or twat or anything you think fit in any reply as i have had far worse over the years and i am also that nightmare you fear the most......A Lancastrian

Ell Meadow lock at Wigan used to be the local kids' swimming pool but an area tidy up has moved them up to the next lock towards Wigan new the new Rugby ground.

Last time we came through, they were happy to have it refilled (we were going up) and one asked for a light for his cigarette (he was about 13!) so after answering the usual type questions about living aboard etc, we came through totally unscathed and the boy got his smoke. No damage, everyone happy.

There were a large number of them on a very hot day but I fing if you offer them respect, you get it back. If you take the 'older and wiser' attitude then all you get is rebellion.

As regards Nottingham, just stay further down river one night, stop in Nottingham for a few hours if you have to, then stay the next night at the Soar junction or somewhere, no nighttime issues.

I would put it down to piss heads walking back home from the city centre along the towpath. It always happens at weekends. Nothing sinister.

Oh so you can confirm my story THANKS as the majority of the people in this room live in southern England and dont believe me when i report valid incidents,when i did mention this episode to the keeper at Holme she was most insitent that i filled in an incident report form,its good that someone takes this seriously and because i am being ridiculed for this posting i will not bother to report any other happenings and i will just let you lot walk into the more unsavoury places on the system.I will also mock the ones that do report future incidents just as i have been mocked !So the morale of this story is if you cant beat them (mods included) join them.