Near Misshap - Grindley Brook Staircase Lock

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Came up Grindley Brook Staircase Lock this afternoon. Chatting with the lockie at the middle lock as we both worked the paddles (me following his lead) when a yell goes out "She's stuck!!" - neither of us had noticed that her right hand side was about six inches higher than her left ... opps!!

Quickly down the paddles then ... muffled-phuufff-type-sound ... brickdust smoke ... properly righted boat ...

Phew!!

The cause? My middle fender eye (fenderless) had caught under one brick :o

The lockie was speachless!

Up through the other two locks with no problems. Phew!

Got moored up on the 48hr above the locks and, thankfully, found the only things that had gone flying inside were the fire-dogs.

Another lesson rammed home due to Real Life - keep an eye on the front, on the back, AND THE SIDES.

Two questions: 1) What kind of fender eyes does your boat have? 2) Excuse my ignorance but what are fire dogs?

Best way to describe them would be ... imagine your little finger curled, make that steel, and make that rise from the gunnell about 45deg.

Fire dogs are the coal-shovel, tongs, brush and poker.

Two questions: 1) What kind of fender eyes does your boat have? 2) Excuse my ignorance but what are fire dogs?

Fire Dogs:

frond-firedogs-basket.jpg

They support a fire basket, in an open fireplace.

Edited to remove question, now I know Chris's idea of "fire dogs" is different to mine (North south divide, I'll bet!)

Edited by carlt

Edited to remove question, now I know Chris's idea of "fire dogs" is different to mine (North south divide, I'll bet!)

Well, that's how this Yorkshireman understands fire-dogs :o

I noticed that your fender eyes stuck out sideways further than the rest of the boat. That was why when we were breasted up at Buckby, I put a couple of fenders between the boats. I would never normally do that, but after they took a strip of paint off it seemed a good idea.

Are they supposed to do that? Maybe a few clouts wuth a hammer would straighten them up vertical? (or possibly would break them off of course)

I think they are meant to be like that as the curve outwards is complimented by a "scoop" inwards on the gunnell.

Anyone else here got a Wilson hull? I'll try and get a picture of one of the eyes (not the one that caught, that's on the wrong side at the mo) later.

This northerner though fire dogs were the bits at the front of the fire that stop the coal falling out!

We used to have a Wilson hull but the fender brackets were flush with the gunwales, AFAICR.

Congratulations on the escape, though - I have had a similar problem with sticky-out bricks catching the baseplate overhang. Damage - one glass (not beer, and not full). Acceptable, and warning heeded!

Ian

I think they are meant to be like that as the curve outwards is complimented by a "scoop" inwards on the gunnell.

Anyone else here got a Wilson hull? I'll try and get a picture of one of the eyes (not the one that caught, that's on the wrong side at the mo) later.

They should definitely not stick out!

As your experience shows, everything on a narrow boat is (should be) designed to slip off a projection on a lock or wharf.

The offending fender eye - angled not quite as high as I'd thought

might involve a bit of work but i'd be tempted to grind the existing one off and weld a staple at 90° at the top of the scallop with a galvanized ring through it. Look reet proper it would.

here's one i made earlier. ringandstaple.jpg

might involve a bit of work but i'd be tempted to grind the existing one off and weld a staple at 90° at the top of the scallop with a galvanized ring through it. Look reet proper it would.

here's one i made earlier. ringandstaple.jpg

Hmmm - the staple is about the same size as the bit of steel that originally held my centreline ring (about the same size as the ring in that pic!) that sheared off and nearly broke my arm ... so I think I'll that that a miss! :o

Hmmm - the staple is about the same size as the bit of steel that originally held my centreline ring (about the same size as the ring in that pic!) that sheared off and nearly broke my arm ... so I think I'll that that a miss! :o

Indeed, i wouldn't recommend it for anything heavier than a fender or for tying down a cloth.

...though they're a handy target for a boathook in a pinch.

Edited by Chris Pink

Fender eyes often seem to be a problem. If they're flush in all directions on the outside, then they protrude on the inside. If they stick out sideways they gat caught on things, and if they stick up you trip over them.

When I got my boat it had recessed eyes front and back, but nothing in the middle. My solution to this was to attach a brass 'eye-plate' to the cabin side - it won't take a lot of strain, but is fine for hanging a fender off. Just make sure you attach to it by something that will break before the plate gets ripped of the cabin in case you forget to take the fender off and get it caught!

Peter

Out of interest, why use fenders in a lock?

Personally, I don't. I only have three fenders that I take off before I set-off and then re-attach as needs be on which ever side is the tow-path.

[edit for typo]

Edited by Chris J W

Likewise - my reference to using a link that would break if the fender got caught is just a precaution against those times when I forget to take the fenders in before setting off. I don't do it often, but I have removed a couple of fenders that way over the last few years!