Help me decide

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

So....roooookie error 

I filled up the old girl last week and diesel treated etc etc ya know that winterisation rubbish and afyer coming bk from the fuel pontoon 1 forgot to grease ones glands......ooooooooo....eeeeeeeerrrrr so its been a few days....should i make the hour journey to greasr my gland or as it was a 5 min trip will it be a wasted journey.....

Will my boat still be afloat!!!!!

Just now, Matt&Jo said:

So....roooookie error 

I filled up the old girl last week and diesel treated etc etc ya know that winterisation rubbish and afyer coming bk from the fuel pontoon 1 forgot to grease ones glands......ooooooooo....eeeeeeeerrrrr so its been a few days....should i make the hour journey to greasr my gland or as it was a 5 min trip will it be a wasted journey.....

The fact you are worried about it enough to write on here, I’d say go back and deal with your fears. Either that or you will waste a couple of hours reading this thread. ? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

So....roooookie error 

Does your auto bilge pump work? Does the stern gland usualy need greasing up often to stop leaks or is it quite tight normaly?

Almost certainly not a problem. I sometimes forget to do mine at the end of a long day, but then we have almost zero leakage.

So, at the end of a long cruise is your stern gland:...   not leaking at all?  dripping once in a while? a tittle trickle?   a waterfall?

If you have a major clearance issue and are relying on just the grease to stem a waterfall then maybe you should take action.

I would be unhappy to have a boat that depended on a bilge pump to stay afloat, but there are a lot of boats that would sink without one.

...............Dave

At the end of a long day it drips every 10 seconds or so.......normaly 4 half turns of the grease gland does the trick!!! Its been 4 days now....im expecting a full pan (i have a pan at the back under the gland so my engine floor stays looking rustyliciouse free)

I reckon,

Chances are the very short fuel trip will not have moved enough grease to give any leakage.

Even if it has one drip every ten seconds is not going to sink you, at worse it might overflow your little pan.

Wait till after Christmas then go and visit the boat and sort it out, even better go and do a new year boating trip.

............Dave

It's obviously concerning you so go and check that everything is okay. If you don't it will be at the back of your mind over Christmas etc. Then, if you haven't already got one, get an automatic bilge pump. Do not connect that via your isolators, though,  as that will render it useless. Also bilge pumps are not infallible, as I have found out, but as I only live a couple of minutes from my boat that is not an issue for me at the moment.