Long Term Mooring on the Coventry Canal

Martin_B

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Martin_B said:

Thanks Grassman - I've heard about the potholes but it does look like a nice place. I did see on their website that there's a one off 'entrance fee' of about £300, not sure what that's for ...

Er, Athy actually. Yes, we paid a one-off entrance fee which, as its name suggests, is for taking over a berth in the marina; key money is, I think, another name for it.

Yes, very nice place (Mrs. Athy still reckons it was the best mooring we ever had). All services, chandlery, slipway, basic groceries, covered painting dock, and a very good chief engineer (Kevin) who is one of those people who can look at and to an engine for two minutes and work out exactly what's wrong and, more importantly, how to put it right. The Wagstaffs, who founded and built up the marina, are either about to retire or have just done so, so what effect new ownership will have on the place remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

I did type Tuttle and my phone appears to change it for some strange raisin.

Wyrd!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Er, Athy actually. Yes, we paid a one-off entrance fee which, as its name suggests, is for taking over a berth in the marina; key money is, I think, another name for it.

Yes, very nice place (Mrs. Athy still reckons it was the best mooring we ever had). All services, chandlery, slipway, basic groceries, covered painting dock, and a very good chief engineer (Kevin) who is one of those people who can look at and to an engine for two minutes and work out exactly what's wrong and, more importantly, how to put it right. The Wagstaffs, who founded and built up the marina, are either about to retire or have just done so, so what effect new ownership will have on the place remains to be seen.

Wyrd!

Good book, “The Way of Wyrd”, a fascinating read.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 11:04, Goliath said:

I’d highly recommend Glascote Basin. 

But they do get full. So no harm approaching them now. 

Sarah who runs the yard is helpful and will get you in if she can. 

An advantage here is you can have your van/car by your boat which will save endless walks down a pontoon. 

I paid monthly when I was there. No deposit. 

Alvecote would be good too and they’ll most likely have space. But they require deposits and moneys upfront. 

If you’ve a short boat it’s easier to get in somewhere, if full length can be tricky. Mine’s only 48’ so I usually find a space easily. 

Which ever, no harm looking now. 

There’s Fazely, but they probably wont want noise. 

Springwood Haven might be worth a look?

Alvecote are good and their "real terms" are much more relaxed than their written term and conditions would imply.

You would have shore power there, this would be cheaper than fuel for a generator as well as quieter. I suggest that you have a word with Lawrence informally rather than put anything in writing at this stage.

3 hours ago, frahkn said:

Alvecote are good and their "real terms" are much more relaxed than their written term and conditions would imply.

You would have shore power there, this would be cheaper than fuel for a generator as well as quieter. I suggest that you have a word with Lawrence informally rather than put anything in writing at this stage.

And you’d be dead close to the industrial sites with all the builders merchants. 

Plus you’ll have a pub!