Survey Recommendations

WiseOwl

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl said:

I am also quite surprised to see that majority of these are BSS fail issues!

I don't think it has been suggested that it is the majority  I certainly  don't think that, and never intended to imply it.

However quite a few look like they should be.  If the BSS expires in 2021, it will have been carried out last year (2017).

6 minutes ago, WiseOwl said:

I am also quite surprised to see that majority of these are BSS fail issues!

Some are just marked as failed due to using the boat, like securing the gas bottles was probably not done when last changed by the owner.  Changed the batteries, didn’t put the cover back on that covers the terminals that we only do every four years when BSS (wo)man comes around.

Edited by Robbo

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm glad I no longer have surveys - a surveyor who prioritises 'blacking the hull' ahead of safety issues such as multi-fuel stove and battery covers and even mechanical issues such as gearbox-clunking, and tighten prop-nut, would not be getting any of my money.

But I guess that's what you get from an 'industry' that has no qualification or experience requirements to 'belong'.

Any one can have a card printed saying 'Boat Surveyor'.

These are not in order by the way. Just the items from the list we should really get done, I just listed them in order of the survey - not importance!

If that was the case I would too be a little baffled!

37 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't think it has been suggested that it is the majority  I certainly  don't think that, and never intended to imply it.

However quite a few look like they should be.  If the BSS expires in 2021, it will have been carried out last year (2017).

At least I have 3 years to get them sorted haha! The BSS stuff will get sorted straight away, also like Robbo said some of these are just from using the boat.

3 minutes ago, WiseOwl said:

These are not in order by the way. Just the items from the list we should really get done, I just listed them in order of the survey - not importance!

If that was the case I would too be a little baffled!

Ok - so your answer as to "what he would prioritise" (question in post #16) was to just put down all the items in a random order.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WiseOwl said:

At least I have 3 years to get them sorted haha! The BSS stuff will get sorted straight away, also like Robbo said some of these are just from using the boat.

Some may even be sorted the day before the BSS man arrives ? 

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ok - so your answer as to "what he would prioritise" (question in post #16) was to just put down all the items in a random order.

I just wanted to know what needs doing straight away - I think this list covers it. Didn't need an order, was just looking at what to be done in one go to start off with. Thanks for your help ?

24 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Some may even be sorted the day before the BSS man arrives ? 

I imagine so ?

5 minutes ago, WiseOwl said:

I just wanted to know what needs doing straight away - I think this list covers it. Didn't need an order, was just looking at what to be done in one go to start off with. Thanks for your help ?

I imagine so ?

On the other hand, if a surveyor has recommended certain actions, some of which could be classed as a BSS Fail issue,  and nothing is done to correct them in a reasonable time frame, and then the boat has some sort of issue,it may cause a problem with the insurance company who could, I suppose,  refuse a claim and maybe therefore bring the validity of your licence into question, if the boat is not properly insured because the boat has not been properly maintained.

Howard

1 hour ago, howardang said:

On the other hand, if a surveyor has recommended certain actions, some of which could be classed as a BSS Fail issue,  and nothing is done to correct them in a reasonable time frame, and then the boat has some sort of issue,it may cause a problem with the insurance company who could, I suppose,  refuse a claim and maybe therefore bring the validity of your licence into question, if the boat is not properly insured because the boat has not been properly maintained.

Howard

Also, there is a condition attached to the BSS certificate IIRC that if any substantive changes are made to the boat which affect the items inspected for the BSS, the certificate is invalidated - or something to that effect.