Autumn failures

roland elsdon

Featured Posts

Yesterday the popping sound from the engine room was the stirling mains charger expiring. Been used about 4 times this year, as we are rarely on mooring, and rely on the solar and engine.

today re wired the bilge pump to find the built in sonic automatic trigger has failed ( after rewiring conduiting and replacing the dodgy electrical bits. ) suppose should have chucked it in a bucket  of water at the start of the job not the end.

one device is 25 months old the other 18 both common ‘ marine ‘ brands.

with that and the dead water heater its been a normal year.

next year alternator, water pump and inverter go a month or so  over warranty so...

40 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Yesterday the popping sound from the engine room was the stirling mains charger expiring. Been used about 4 times this year, as we are rarely on mooring, and rely on the solar and engine.

today re wired the bilge pump to find the built in sonic automatic trigger has failed ( after rewiring conduiting and replacing the dodgy electrical bits. ) suppose should have chucked it in a bucket  of water at the start of the job not the end.

one device is 25 months old the other 18 both common ‘ marine ‘ brands.

with that and the dead water heater its been a normal year.

next year alternator, water pump and inverter go a month or so  over warranty so...

My two year old Sterling mains charger worked fine last time I used it. Two years ago....

Sonic automatic trigger? WTF is that? No wonder it doesn't work!!!

11 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

That's what you get for living in a machine. 

Phil 

No - that's what you get for living in Oz half the year.

If he were full time in the UK, he might have managed to make them fail within the warranty period!

• Haha 1

Its an auto matic bilge pump that should work without the need for a lifter. In reality they seem to work for a limited period and then fail. Course this is without warning. Every autumn before we fly back to work they get a good test and every 2 years they fail. Last year it was the backup pump that failed this year its the main one. Its a long way to come back and check them

If i was full time in the uk id be  cold barking mad and poor (er) . They still havent paid my nhs pension , and i dont do cold.

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Its an auto matic bilge pump that should work without the need for a lifter. In reality they seem to work for a limited period and then fail. Course this is without warning. Every autumn before we fly back to work they get a good test and every 2 years they fail. Last year it was the backup pump that failed this year its the main one. Its a long way to come back and check them

If i was full time in the uk id be  cold barking mad and poor (er) . They still havent paid my nhs pension , and i dont do cold.

Tell you what, if yer bote sinks while you're in Oz I'll PM you.

If I notice.

Hope that helps...

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I've never had an auto bilge pump that hasn't failed when it was needed. Last time was when a friend had borrowed the boat which sprang a leak at Audlem, and being inexperienced he carried on all the way back to Macclesfield with the pump permanently running on manual. I never lent the boat out again and have never relied on the auto since. 

Kind

2 minutes ago, archie57 said:

Has the warranty on the engine run out...……..!

Im waiting til my neighbour )who i am reliably informed is slowly rebuilding his hb 2 is finished ,)  when hes sorted out the reduction box ill nip next door and swap engines one dark night. 

Should be a straight swap...

10 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Kind

Im waiting til my neighbour )who i am reliably informed is slowly rebuilding his hb 2 is finished ,)  when hes sorted out the reduction box ill nip next door and swap engines one dark night. 

Should be a straight swap...

Hope his warranty hasn't run out, might have a heart attack....!

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Yes, but how old was it?

Our victron combo (10 years + old) has been relegated to an inverter only by buying a 30A IP22 victron charger for less than £200. Water pumps are now consumables at £70 a pop. Alternators yes. They are an issue at £500 a time. We have spares for most things but a spare alternator is not one of them. We've even got a spare plasma generator for our vacuflush pumpout and a spare 24 tray of 500ml cans of Brains SA.

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, but how old was it?

Our victron combo (10 years + old) has been relegated to an inverter only by buying a 30A IP22 victron charger for less than £200. Water pumps are now consumables at £70 a pop. Alternators yes. They are an issue at £500 a time. We have spares for most things but a spare alternator is not one of them. We've even got a spare plasma generator for our vacuflush pumpout and a spare 24 tray of 500ml cans of Brains SA.

I now rebuild my own alternators but they are only £65, have 3 water pumps as spares. What annoys me is the 1 month over warranty issue.

im shocked you have no eco fan spare, in this day and age i recon thats vital. I presume you have breakdown insurance for it.  The 2 year warranty on mine expires in april, i have the reciept handy

• Greenie 1