Large Hinge for Bow Locker Lid

Tony Fuller

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have broken one of the 'weld on' hinges on the Hatch Lid of the Bow Locker (Tim Tyler Shell).

I suspect I will need to replace these as a pair, as getting a match may be difficult.

I can't find any online so maybe these are a 'shell builders special'.

I think these are welded on but each has 3 'dummy? Rivets top & bottom.

Any Ideas how to replace these, anyone done this job.

Thanks

Tony

53 minutes ago, Tony Fuller said:

Hi,

I have broken one of the 'weld on' hinges on the Hatch Lid of the Bow Locker (Tim Tyler Shell).

I suspect I will need to replace these as a pair, as getting a match may be difficult.

I can't find any online so maybe these are a 'shell builders special'.

I think these are welded on but each has 3 'dummy? Rivets top & bottom.

Any Ideas how to replace these, anyone done this job.

Thanks

Tony

What has broken? Can it not be repaired (welded)? Have you tried approaching Tyler Wilson?

If it looks anything like this, then the actual hinge may be a bought in part, but the straps were probably made by the shell builder.

?format=500w

Edited by David Mack

Hi David,

Yes, your photo shows the type of hinge, but mine has the 'ornate bit' top & bottom.

You would think that Welding would be the answer, but the break is in the actual hinge part itself, it is actually underneath & quite difficult to get at to weld (its actually rusted through so not a lot left to weld on to).

So probably means 'grinding off' the complete hinge but if going to all this trouble would be easier to fit a replacement rather than trying to bodge up the rusty one.

I was hoping that someone knew where these were available off the shelf or had done this themselves.

Tony

Hi David,

That is actually a good idea, but it would be fine for a steel door & doorpost, my problem is that the hinge section is integral, ie part of the hinge goes to the top section & part to the bottom section.

Similar to the left hand hinge if you arrow down in their catalogue.

I did try just screwing a smaller hinge over the broken section but due to the different arc's of travel it jammed up & didn't work.

Tony

I'm pretty sure that the hinge originally fitted to your boat was a weld on bullet hinge of the type I pictured. If that has failed, then it needs to be cut out and a new one welded in.  Any competent boatbuilder should be able to do this for you.

Hi David,

Welding is not the problem, as a retired engineer I can weld (or rather I can stick two pieces of metal together) & I have a reasonable mig welder.

What I think you are actually saying is that you don't believe that the locker hinge is a 'bought in' item, but fabricated on site from two pieces of fancy metal with a butt hinge centre piece.

You may well be right but from the general appearance of the hinge it appears to have a 'blacksmiths forge' type of hammered over hinge joint, with little actual engineering, the hinge metal looks quite thin (over hammered) which is why it has rusted away.

I suppose the only way to really find out is for me to ask Tim Tyler.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Got exactly the same problem with the hatch over my water tank  I thought about getting fancy replacement hinges but saw another solution on another boat.  I'm going to angle grind off the bits that take the hinge itself and replace with a bought in hinge that I will bolt on on - drilling and tapping a thread in the metal either side.  As the metal is quite thick there will be plenty of depth to take a thread.  Midland chandlers do a selection of hinges.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/midland chandlers/cabin and deck/cabin fittings/hinges.aspx

Hi Larry,

I tried drilling & Tapping new threads & fitting a new smaller hinge on top (Message 5).

Unfortunately the new hinge had a different 'arc of travel' to the unbroken one & the hatch lid jammed about half way open.

I could cut through the good one & fit a 'piggyback' hinge each side but with the different hinge pivot point

(raised up by maybe 8mm) I am afraid that the hatch might jam (2inch drop on the sides all round & very snug fitting) as I feel that position of  the hinge pivot point may be critical to obtain the correct arc of movement of the hatch lid for smooth operation.

If I cut through the good hinge & the piggyback hinges don't work then I will find myself a bit stymied.

I can wiggle it open on one hinge at the moment & don't want to 'burn my bridges'

Also the piggyback hinges will look a bit of a 'bodged job'.

This is why I am trying to find some new matching hinges.

Thanks

Tony

We were passing through Gt Haywood a couple of weeks ago when a guy came along and started taking photos of our boat. It's just been repainted so is looking pretty good.  The paintwork didn't fool him. He recognised I'd got a 20 year old Tyler/Wilson shell and told me all about the differences between new ones and mine. He knew because he helps build them and has done for years. I jokingly asked him if mine was still under warranty and he said not exactly but we always try to help out existing customers. On that basis I'd drop them an email. It can't do any harm.

Hello Cheshire Cat,

I think I can just beat you, our Tim Tyler shell is 21 years old this year.

Built in 'the black hole of Calcutta (as it was called locally) ' in Hixton.

I suppose that I can't really complain at the locker hinge rusty through after all this time, I suppose I should have oiled or greased the hinges more often!!!

I will make contact with Tim & see what he has to say, he will probably want measurements or a drawing as I don't think accurate build records were kept in those days.

I am too busy to visit the Boat at the moment so when I do I will take some pics & measurements so that he can see what we have.

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

if you do refit a similar hinge, have a read of my thread re creaking lids. My locker is the same type and was getting stiffer and noisier. My improvement involves just 4 drill holes, and will prevent you breaking it in future. 

Cheers Mike

I think most hinges on narrow boats are made up by the shell builder with some more ornate than others, so you could get a pair made up at a black smiths if you give him the sizes and a photo, then grind the old ones off and dig out the mig and weld on.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Yes, I suspect that is what many of the 'boat builders' do & probably get their local Blacksmith to make them up in batches.

My hinge definitely has a 'blacksmith' look about it & as I said before the curved bit if the hinge did look a bit thin & maybe 'over hammered'.

I will have a word with Tim Tyler, he may have these available 'off the shelf'.

Thanks

Tony