Golden Rivet

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have just bought our first NB and we invited an old friend of ours to give our pride and joy the once over. After many sighs and sucking of teeth etc, he declared our NB to be a fine ship shape vessel, however! being as he could not find the Golden Rivet, he said that he could not pass word or judgment on the NB, until I had found the location of this rivet.

He explained that all boat builders and sailors were very superstitious, and as a token of good luck and a happy boat, all were built with at least one Golden Rivet.

We have had every covering of our boat, but still we cannot find this elusive rivet!

Is he telling the truth, or, is this just a wind-up?

Many thanks!

:lol:

Hi all,

We have just bought our first NB and we invited an old friend of ours to give our pride and joy the once over. After many sighs and sucking of teeth etc, he declared our NB to be a fine ship shape vessel, however! being as he could not find the Golden Rivet, he said that he could not pass word or judgment on the NB, until I had found the location of this rivet.

He explained that all boat builders and sailors were very superstitious, and as a token of good luck and a happy boat, all were built with at least one Golden Rivet.

We have had every covering of our boat, but still we cannot find this elusive rivet!

Is he telling the truth, or, is this just a wind-up?

Many thanks!

:lol:

Many a passenger has been taken to see the Golden Rivet with mixed success!

Now, what about the Golden Blanket? :(

Howard Anguish

Hi all,We have just bought our first NB and we invited an old friend of ours to give our pride and joy the once over. After many sighs and sucking of teeth etc, he declared our NB to be a fine ship shape vessel, however! being as he could not find the Golden Rivet, he said that he could not pass word or judgment on the NB, until I had found the location of this rivet.He explained that all boat builders and sailors were very superstitious, and as a token of good luck and a happy boat, all were built with at least one Golden Rivet.We have had every covering of our boat, but still we cannot find this elusive rivet!Is he telling the truth, or, is this just a wind-up?Many thanks! :lol:
Of course its true. Keep looking!Try the frames, On welded boats the golden rivet is often driven through a 'safe' spot on a frame so as to maintain the watertight security of the shell.
Many a passenger has been taken to see the Golden Rivet with mixed success! Howard Anguish
Its a bit akin to the prison lags ploy of dropping the soap in the shower!

Snibble,

Don't box the ccompass mate - just say what you mean !

You've deprived us of hours of fun...

When men were men and boring sea watches prevailed, (no Walport videos then)

we could send the boys up to the crows nest on a winters night until they froze rigid.

Those were the days - get my cat out of the bag, no.1 ...

Stop taking the piss you rotten lot!

The golden rivet is real only as a euphamism for buggery!

Oh a life on the ocean wave eh?

Stop taking the piss you rotten lot!

The golden rivet is real only as a euphamism for buggery!

Oh a life on the ocean wave eh?

Snibble

Stop misleading the guy. That rivet is there somewhere. It took me almost 6 weeks to find mine but there it was under a tiny inspection cover in the floor of a cupboard. Mind you, I think it's only gold plated, the cheaspskates.

Chris

6 weeks ?? and I thought you walked like that because you admired the film career of John Wayne !

Snibble

Stop misleading the guy. That rivet is there somewhere. It took me almost 6 weeks to find mine but there it was under a tiny inspection cover in the floor of a cupboard. Mind you, I think it's only gold plated, the cheaspskates.

Chris

yep in the merchant navy I was sent on a search for the golden rivet ............Ahem

And in the fire brigade they got me with Biffin's Bridge - said it was close to Brandy Wharf which is a real place on the Ancholme - the buggers!!!

outside Strabane there is a roundabout with a steel sculpture of two or three 20ft tall men, locally called the 'Tinnies'.

story goes that the taxi company got a call from Mr Tinman for a pick-up at the roundabout. The cabbie circled the roundabout a few times before he twigged it.