Anyone heard of Derby Narrowboats?

wolvesy

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, wolvesy said:

Looking at a pretty, v trad 50 footer, with vintage engine and boatman's cabin - said to be built by a G. Derby in 1993. I have never heard of G. Derby or Derby Narrowboats. Can anyone on here lend their knowledge?

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/4310.aspx this be she

The hull is very similar to a Barry Jenkins "Lincoln class hull the blue hump on the fore deck is to enclose the gas bottle due to restricted hull depth to waterline for draining, not sure on the cabin as he usually did recessed panels that could be the Derby bit a company/individual could have built the cabin My friend had a 60ft butty style rear end in BJ's other style built & had 2 Ruston engines a 2 & 3 cyl IIrc he traded the 2pot against the boat cost that could be the traded motor. BJ was a good boat builder but his business practices were somewhat "iffy" so it could be a bit of a Heinz in regard to builders/completers/fitters out but if it is a BJ hull the build would have been decent regarding the steel work

If you look on Whilton Marina's boats for sale web site they have a boat for sale "Thistle" 47ft Barry Jenkins "Lincoln " class tug the photo doesn't show the stem post but you"ll get an idea

Alan - yes I can definitely see the resemblance with Thistle.. the gas bottle locker on the foredeck.. perhaps you are right! In that case I would hope the plating spec for the one I'm looking at isn't 6/6/4 as Thistle's is. And about the engine, are you saying it might have belonged to a friend of yours?

And yes Matty - would certainly get a survey :) 

7 hours ago, wolvesy said:

Alan - yes I can definitely see the resemblance with Thistle.. the gas bottle locker on the foredeck.. perhaps you are right! In that case I would hope the plating spec for the one I'm looking at isn't 6/6/4 as Thistle's is. And about the engine, are you saying it might have belonged to a friend of yours?

If it is indeed a Jenkins boat I think you will find it will be 6/6/4 my friends boat was that thickness when his boat was being built he obtained a 2pot Ruston it required some marinising parts & GB he then was offered a 3pot that was ready to drop in so this is what he did the boat was late & some of the parts/jobs were not completed & I understand "haggling" took place & the 2 pot engine became part of the payment so it could/not be the engine that is in the boat you are looking at

7 hours ago, wolvesy said:

Whats wrong with 6/6/4? I owned an old colecraft built in 81 which was 6/6/4 some years ago and it is still going strong with the original hull. I have owned boats 6/6/4  10/6/4 15/6/5 12/8/5 amongst others with no discernable difference other than perceived kudos.

Edited by mrsmelly