Mastervolt Whisper Generator

Tesla

Featured Posts

Hi all,

A friend of a friend has inherited a Mastervolt Whisper 3500 50hz generator that he has no use for and is looking to sell. The guy he inherited it from (now deceased) had planned to install it into a boat but beyond that I have no information about its condition or hours used etc.

The question for the experts then is what do you think it might be worth if "sold as seen". I appreciate that is a difficult question to answer without more info but a rough idea based on basket/average/virgin condition would be very helpful. If i get time I might try and have a look and get some pics in the coming weeks. 

Thanks in advance. 

21 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Put it on eBay, people will bid for it and it will realise it's true value.

This is not answering the question, is it?

I'd say if it was accurately described on ebay as 'condition unknown' people will take that as code for 'broken' and it might make £200-300.

If it can be accurately described as in good working condition but running hours unkown and photos show it pretty grubby and well-used, probably about £1k. 

If the history can be discovered and it turns out to be fully working and low hours and photos show it clean as a whistle, I'd guess £2k-3k. 

These guesses assume the fitting kit, remote control panel, keys, manual are all present and included in the sale. 

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is not answering the question, is it?

I'd say if it was accurately described on ebay as 'condition unknown' people will take that as code for 'broken' and it might make £200-300.

If it can be accurately described as in good working condition but running hours unkown and photos show it pretty grubby and well-used, probably about £1k. 

If the history can be discovered and it turns out to be fully working and low hours and photos show it clean as a whistle, I'd guess £2k-3k. 

These guesses assume the fitting kit, remote control panel, keys, manual are all present and included in the sale. 

Thanks Mike, I think I, or probably someone vaguely more technical, needs to take a look at it. Will post more info as and when....

1 minute ago, Tesla said:

Thanks Mike, I think I, or probably someone vaguely more technical, needs to take a look at it. Will post more info as and when....

Forgot to say, the price new with the fitting kit, exhaust etc, delivery and VAT is probably in the order of £6k. 

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Forgot to say, the price new with the fitting kit, exhaust etc, delivery and VAT is probably in the order of £6k. 

Thanks again. My friend will get 50% of the sale and he very much deserves it so I am keen to help. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/06/2018 at 21:26, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have finally got some pics as per the attached. It looks like it has been moderately used (or maybe well used) but beyond that I have no real idea what it might be worth? There does appear to be a lack of user panel for it, should there be one? Is there any easy(ish) way of running one of these on a workbench/garage floor to prove it works? 

20180627_171906.jpg

20180627_172132.jpg

20180627_172154.jpg

20180627_172204.jpg

20180627_172210.jpg

20180627_172215.jpg

20180627_172226.jpg

20180627_172238.jpg

20180627_172244.jpg

20180627_172323.jpg

A significant part of the battle is to present the unit well. - for sales good (in focus) photos showing the details of the unit clearly - remove (or place alongside) cables and stuff. If you show a punter that you've made an effort, it will make a considerable difference, as will any provenance the item has.

Take care with the camera angles  and make sure eBay or whatever doesn't show the picture upside down

A provenance of the item also helps. 

(No disrespec' to your photos on here which I accept were just to collect info:)

Edited by OldGoat

Thanks for feedback. I haven't seen the unit myself (or taken the pics) but will try and find out if there is a control panel with it. Is it viable to fire up the unit somehow? 

10 hours ago, Tesla said:

Is it viable to fire up the unit somehow? 

In principle yes, but quite a lot of effort. Do you have a copy of the manual?

You'll need to rig up a fuel supply, a cooling water tank and pipes (unless you only run it for say up to one minute), and wire up a battery.

You'll also need to read the manual carefully and work out what is in the missing control panel and replicate the functions. Probably an 'ignition' switch, preheater switch, start position switch, and something to excite the alternator. There are may be temp and oil pressure gauges too but I think these can be left unconnected. WAY less effort to track down the control panel and loom!

• 2 years later...