Crick Boat Show 2005

The Major

Featured Posts

Further to the helpful comments I've received about the East Midlands ring, I'd like to sneak in an additional query if I may. Looking at the forums I've suddenly noticed that the Crick Boat Show will be taking place on the 28th-30 May smack in the middle of the two weeks we hope to be travelling the ring. I've never been to an event like this so I don't know how it's likely to effect canal traffic, moorings etc and whether it would be best to ensure we're well past/or well short before it all starts. Is it a must see? If all goes well we should be leaving Stoke on the 21st May. With all this in mind, does it matter which way round we travel the ring before we return to Stoke? Thanks again!

Edited by The Major

If you moorings for the show, you will need to book very early! Moorings will be full for miles surrounding the show, and there will be a mass of traffic!

If you've not been to a show before, or have an interest in looking at boats, obtaining equipment etc then its probably worth a visit.

Others will be able to tell you from personal exerience.

Cheers

Jon

moorings are extremely busy during the crick boat show for miles, I have been told you can moor near Yelvertoft and take a public footpath that brings you out at the show and this is shorter than walking back along the towpath if you have to moor a long way from the show (which you will unless you are there very early)

I would agree with Oliver, Crick is certainly the best show. I have been for the last three years and infact spent all three days there. In fact dont forget the evenings the free entertainment is excellent.

It is difficult to get a boat moored near the show unless you get there way before the event. A lot of moorings are prebooked.

You can also enjoy a good pint of Real Ale because the event has its own real ale tent organised by CAMRA(I believe its Rugby branch). I certainly did!!!! Hic..Hic..Hic :lol::):lol:

Back to the original question..... I don't think it matters which way round you go. Crick is about the half-way point on your trip so whichever way you go you'll get held up at either the Foxton or the Watford flghts. Just be prepared for the wait - it's never as long as it seems! Slow down, lie back and enjoy the experience!

Thanks thus far chaps! Now if I've understood correctly...if I decide to go ahead the best plan is to overshoot and moor on the circular route somewhere south of the show. If I leave Stoke on the Saturday afternoon beforehand and follow the ring clockwise how far round do you reckon I might get by Thursday afternoon? Far enough past Crick to get a mooring and get back to see the first day of the show on foot/by public transport?

Major

You will want to moor North of the show, there are only a few moorings south of the show then you get to the tunnel (these moorings will almost definately be taken early on).

It is easier to judge the mooring situation arriving from the south (watford locks) as you can go past all the moorings and stop where there is space, if you do it the other way you could end up having to go through the tunnel if you cannot find a space.

If you come from the North I would stop fairly early and have a walk along the footpath to see if there are any closer moorings.

I'm assuming that your planned route is T&M-Trent-Soar-GU Leicester Section-GU main Line-North Oxford-Coventry-T&M. That's 216 miles and 144 locks. At 3mph and 10 minutes per lock that will take about 96 hours cruising - 7 hours per day. Going clockwise you would arrive at Crick sometime on the Sunday, after 121 miles and 91 locks.

If you go anti-clockwise you would arrive at Crick sometime on the Friday (or possibly Thursday if you pushed on a bit) after 95 miles and 53 locks. If you want to spend some time at Crick, it looks as though the anticlockwise route is favourite.

Don't expect to get much more than 3mph on average out of the boat. You are unlikely to work locks in much under 10 minutes on average and it could be longer if you get stuck in queues. "Pushing on" does not mean going faster - just working longer hours!

Have a good trip.

Thanks for that Paul and Khaffra...really useful advice! Assuming the boat is still available, it looks like a push anti-clockwise and mooring where possible...a little past Crick if I've got time! From your own experience of these events, will those coming in their own narrowboats be likely to stay the full 3 days leading to a resultant mass exodus at the end of the show? I reckon an overnight and a full day at Crick - hopefully Saturday - will suit us fine as I don't want to have to rush our return leg to Stoke.

One further query...before I stop pushing my luck! When I last spoke to Black Prince and asked them which of the Pearson's guides I'd need to cover the trip they had no idea (somewhat worrying as they offer the East Midlands Ring in their brochure!). I know there isn't a single guide but I've found the all current guides on this page and have been trying to work it out.

http://www.iwashop.com/ecommerce/products.asp?cat=8

I think I might need as many as four of them but would welcome a more experienced opinion regarding of the ones to order...any ideas?

Edited by The Major

Nicholsons heart of england and Birmingham guide I think is all you will need for the whole trip, haven't got one here to look at but I think (can check for you if you want).

Most boats will be there for the weekend so leaving after a day should mean you aren't held up to much, leaving at the end of theshow will seriously hold you up.

Watford and Foxton locks are open till late over the show to help congestion.

Nicholsons heart of england and Birmingham guide I think is all you will need for the whole trip,

I'm pretty sure I've got an old Nicholsons covering the area, though I must say that when we were on the Llangollen I preferred the clear graphic presentation of the Pearson's guide.

I'm pretty sure I've got an old Nicholsons covering the area, though I must say that when we were on the Llangollen I preferred the clear graphic presentation of the Pearson's guide.

Nicholson's Guide No 3 "Birmingham and the Heart of England cover the whole route from Great Hayward Junction.

There is little if any public transport in the Crick area. Agree your best bet to go north of Crick to Yelvertoft and walk (cross country route cuts off a large meander in the canal. Just north of Yelvertoft there is plenty of good moorings along tow path.

Graham Blott

After dashing down to the bookshop I now have the current Nicholson's ' Birmingham and the Heart of England ' guide in front of me...slightly worrying about the River Soar and the effects of heavy rainfall! Once I've worked out the canals involved in the Stoke/East Midlands Ring jaunt, i'll purchase the Pearson's equivalent too so I can set off fully primed!

Edited by The Major

...slightly worrying about the River Soar

Went on the soar two years ago, no problems, they were updating the warnings to a traffic light system, Red do not go, yellow go with caution if you wish too, green go.

It is a wonderful stretch of water I would recommend it. Hope it stays dry.

We traveled on yellow, just be aware of the weirs that take you sideways, keep away from them and watch for oncoming boats.

Edited by bottle

I had the impression that 'The Major' didn't particularly want to visit the show but was more concerned the traffic may delay him on his schedule.

I would say just go with your original plan, if you get held up it will only be for a day at the most and you can always make it up, it can be quite nice travelling with plenty of traffic now and again, you get to meet lots of people.

Solitude can be over rated

Actually John, from what people have said about the show I think it would be silly not to spend a day there if I have the chance. I'll aim to get there the day before it opens, have a look around on Saturday and head off towards the Soar on the Sunday. I hope the weirs aren't as threatening as they sound!

Major

Do not worry unnecessaryly about the weirs most are protected so you will not go over them. I did not intend to cause concern for you just to be aware that they are there.

Fore warned is fore armed. Sorry.gif

Well, I've just booked the boat so the East Midlands Ring is definately on! The only word of warning I was offered about the trip was to be wary of Leicester...is that fair? That being said, I remember braving the Cheshire Ring in a hectic week back in the Eighties and I can't believe it could match the Rochdale Nine for intimidating grimness!

Well, I've just booked the boat so the East Midlands Ring is definately on! The only word of warning I was offered about the trip was to be wary of Leicester...is that fair? That being said, I remember braving the Cheshire Ring in a hectic week back in the Eighties and I can't believe it could match the Rochdale Nine for intimidating grimness!

There are some "safe" mooring on the offside, non towpath, difficult to see but it is a floating pontoon next to the park/gardens. A BW key is required to leave the pontoon and enter the park/gardens.

We tied up to the towpath for a couple of hours around lunch time and wandered into town but it was term time.

My philosophy is; If worrying about a problem will not solve it,do not worry about it.

There are lots of stories about vandalism, it does happen, but not as much as we are led to believe. (chinese whispers)