Plumbing Question (1) - Basin Wates

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Batavia said:

My solution on the latter stages of Daedalus and on Batavia was to fit a brass 1 1/4" elbow on the end of the metal waste fitting (avoid plastic at all costs) and then fit a brass hose barb into the end of the elbow using a reducer, then hose to the skin fitting.  the whole assembly is very robust and no bodging is required.

Although there is a "step" in the flow path, in practice this didn't seem to be a major problem with a 3/4" hose - depending obviously on what you put down the waste (and 1" would be even less problematic).  On the odd occasion it did partially block, a swift poke with a length of wire up through the skin fitting cleared the blockage.

Chris G

Seems a very robust solution, but I have not found any easy way of buying all the brass bits, (1 1/4" Female Elbow, Reducer & Male Barbed Connector), from a single source, without it being fairly expensive and/or incurring biggish carriage charges.

Cheapskate me is wondering if this would achieve it in just one fitting, (assumes selecting the 1 1/4" BSP option)?

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Female-BSP-Threaded-Hosetail-Barbed-Fitting-Thread-Connector-Pond-Caravan-Boat/182446571090?hash=item2a7aa9be52:m:m04Lsnrzuzl14GP47EdF2rw

Edited by alan_fincher

Don’t see why not. I’ve used one of those for connecting a hose to a submersible pump with a 1.5 BSP outlet Originally used one of those to connect to some 1” delivery hose then upgraded to 1.5” hose and just cut it at the appropriate point.  

Got to be worth a go a six quid 

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Seems a very robust solution, but I have not found any easy way of buying all the brass bits, (1 1/4" Female Elbow, Reducer & Male Barbed Connector), from a single source, without it being fairly expensive and/or incurring biggish carriage charges.

That's what they said before both Deepwater Horizon and Texas City!

Chris G

12 minutes ago, Batavia said:

That's what they said before both Deepwater Horizon and Texas City!

Hopefully any cleanup operation or insurance payout after a "Sinkwater Flamingo" incident will come rather cheaper!

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Hopefully any cleanup operation or insurance payout after a "Sinkwater Flamingo" incident will come rather cheaper!

I shall take comfort from the fact that I am not a shareholder in the Flamingo Canal Carrying Company!

Chris G

PS - as an engineer, I am used to spending other people's money to achieve a good result - it is a bit different when it is one's own money...

4 minutes ago, Batavia said:

I shall take comfort from the fact that I am not a shareholder in the Flamingo Canal Carrying Company!

Chris G

PS - as an engineer, I am used to spending other people's money to achieve a good result - it is a bit different when it is one's own money...

Well "Flamingo" is of course an ex Willow Wren carrying boat, so if we can do something on the cheap without too much capital outlay, we are of course keeping the spirit of Leslie Morton alive.

I'm gambling £6 on a connector like I pictured above, but it may well not be the final solution.

14 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Cheapskate me is wondering if this would achieve it in just one fitting, (assumes selecting the 1 1/4" BSP option)?

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Female-BSP-Threaded-Hosetail-Barbed-Fitting-Thread-Connector-Pond-Caravan-Boat/182446571090?hash=item2a7aa9be52:m:m04Lsnrzuzl14GP47EdF2rw

Yes the 1/1/4" version of that will do the job admirably, provided you have the vertical height. How far below the basin waste in the skin fitting?

THis thread illustrates perfectly how the main skill in plumbing these days is in knowing what parts are available to screw together, and where to get them.  Rather than the watertight assembly of the Lego. 

MrRusty posted an even better (angled) adaptor on your other thread. Not sure it comes in 1/1/4" though. B&Q usually have them on the shelf in 1 1/2" so may have them in 1 1/4" too. 

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes the 1/1/4" version of that will do the job admirably, provided you have the vertical height. How far below the basin waste in the skin fitting?

THis thread illustrates perfectly how the main skill in plumbing these days is in knowing what parts are available to screw together, and where to get them.  Rather than the watertight assembly of the Lego. 

Funnily enough this is similar to what you told me whilst I was mid breakdown trying to plumb in my new cauliflower. 

Plumbing is a mix of shopping and the old boardgame mousetrap,  plus a bit of extra shopping when you realise you forgot a bit

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

MrRusty posted an even better (angled) adaptor on your other thread. Not sure it comes in 1/1/4" though. B&Q usually have them on the shelf in 1 1/2" so may have them in 1 1/4" too. 

I ended up with the oribble bodge I got because I just couldn't fathom the sizes required to what was available.

Although the plumbers merchant I visited,who coblled up the abomination for me was really helpful,the fact that I was trying to get the outlet to fit a 19mm hose from a standard sink waste made it difficult.

ETA. The correct solution for me would have been to increase the size of the skin fitting,but I couldn't be bothered.

Edited by rusty69

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I ended up with the oribble bodge I got because I just couldn't fathom the sizes required to what was available.

Although the plumbers merchant I visited,who coblled up the abomination for me was really helpful,the fact that I was trying to get the outlet to fit a 19mm hose from a standard sink waste made it difficult.

ETA. The correct solution for me would have been to increase the size of the skin fitting,but I couldn't be bothered.

No THIS is the part I meant:

productTemplate.jpeg.b3842cdfaa3b51b6db4

Perfect! If you can find on in 1 1/4"

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No THIS is the part I meant:

productTemplate.jpeg.b3842cdfaa3b51b6db4

Perfect! If you can find on in 1 1/4"

I know.

I couldn't find one to fit,but have two of those that don't fit,along with 1000 other plumbing bits that "will come in handy" one day that I bought for other jobs, which didn't fit either.:)

20 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Funnily enough this is similar to what you told me whilst I was mid breakdown trying to plumb in my new cauliflower. 

Plumbing is a mix of shopping and the old boardgame mousetrap,  plus a bit of extra shopping when you realise you forgot a bit

Such a shame I was totally overwhelmed with boiler breakdowns at the time, in headless chicken mode otherwise I'd have come up and done it with you. 

Anyway congratulations on getting to grips with it and getting done yourself in the end!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The 1 1/2" version easily available could be used too, by buying a 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" brass (or plastic) bush and screwing it onto the basin waste tail. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Reducing-Bushes-Reducer-Various-Sizes-Male-Female-BSP-Adapters-Bush/232667725630?hash=item362c13bf3e:m:mH_o9HTLcvwmwriY-z03fRA

Thats the bit I needed.Thanks. May get rid of my abomination now.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thats the bit I needed.Thanks. May get rid of my abomination now.

With a bit of serious googling about you may well find one in plastic for about a quid. Ebay just doesn't respond well to searches for 1 1/2" or even 1.5" It keeps returning 15mm and 1/2" stuff. 

39 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

In the meantime here is a nice tree for you to perve over. You may recognise it! ;)

IMG_3524.JPG

15 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I don't recognise it but oh that is handsome

Its "Big Belly Oak" in Savernake forest (as the sign says!) There are about 40 ancient oaks here in Savernake of similar nature. Will post you another in a sec...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman