Freezer compartment defrosting/re-freezing by itself

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Kelly Pritchard-Newman said:

We have a Shoreline fridge/freezer and the freezer periodically defrosts itself, it has happened when the boat has been I heated and very cold and then at other times when it’s been toasty. Is this a common fault?

Is it a fridge / freezer or the more usual fridge with a 'freezer' section in the top of the main (and only) compartment?

The former are like hens' teeth - especially on boats as they are rather tall, don't fit under counter tops... Shoreline used to offer the former, but I don't think they sold very many. I comment because folks coming on here  state F/F and then say 'under counter' and this is mutually exclusive.

If the latter, then they may defrost themselves slightly as part of the design and current EU directives as they have a defrost cycle built in. If the former with a  completely separate freezer compartment, then it shouldn't defrost the compartment unless you've set the fridge part to a 'high' temperature.  

When we hired boats I found exactly the situation as you describe, and The Management complained, a gal has to have ice in her G&T doncha' know....  so our boat was designed for a 'proper' FF - even though they are much more expensive and a bit ugly.

Please advise.

It is a fridge and freezer, each with it's own door and no, it wouldn't fit under a counter, sits under the oven unit. The defrosting isn't related to using the oven because it happens when we are not there too. I've had to stop using it until I work out the problem as I discovered that food had been defrosted and then re-frozen and potentially harmful. We have space for a separate fridge and freezer but would like to continue using this one if possible.

I have a 12 volt fridge freezer it has defrosted the freezer in the past always due to being to cold in the boat! If heated normally it is ok, even kitchen toasty [ Rayburn royal close to it] no problems. So now in the winter if leaving the boat I empty it and defrost it or leave heating on if only for a few days.

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have a 12 volt fridge freezer it has defrosted the freezer in the past always due to being to cold in the boat! If heated normally it is ok, even kitchen toasty [ Rayburn royal close to it] no problems. So now in the winter if leaving the boat I empty it and defrost it or leave heating on if only for a few days.

This is quite common which is why many freezers and fridge-freezers say they are not suitable for use in a garage or outhouse.  I can understand it with F-Fs as if it is colder the the fridge is set at, then the fridge will not cut in, and as a result the freezer bit doesn't get chilled.  Not so sure why it should occur with a standalone freezer, but some definitely say not for use in an outhouse and they will defrost themselves.