C02 alarm help

Tatguy

Featured Posts

If you can't push a brush right down the flue and into the stove's 'furnace' it's a bugger to pull it back up!  This is why it's so important to lift out the throat/baffle plate, an easy job but a dirty job!  Once done, however, you can bask in the satisfaction of a job well done - all for the cost of a bar of soap! 

Edited by mross

last spring I saw a boater in Orchard Marin sweep his chimney with the fire alight. He stood on the boat roof, dipped the brush in the cut and rammed it down the chimney,  hauled it back out in a big cloud of soot steam and smoke. Probably not one of the better ideas

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

last spring I saw a boater in Orchard Marin sweep his chimney with the fire alight. He stood on the boat roof, dipped the brush in the cut and rammed it down the chimney,  hauled it back out in a big cloud of soot steam and smoke. Probably not one of the better ideas

Why?  it might actually be very effective!  Did you observe and deleterious effects?  I have heard of people doing a similar act and pulling out a blazing brush, flames and all sorts of sh*t and corruption.  Dipping the brush in the cut is the bit I missed out!  :)

54 minutes ago, mross said:

Why?  it might actually be very effective!  Did you observe and deleterious effects?  I have heard of people doing a similar act and pulling out a blazing brush, flames and all sorts of sh*t and corruption.  Dipping the brush in the cut is the bit I missed out!  :)

Put it this way, he was slightly in the firing line when he with drew but I think he left the boat doors open, but can't remember for sure. The smoke must have gone somewhere with the brush going down the pipe.

Ok thanks everyone I appeciate all the help offered 

This morning I got the smoke pellets around the door loads of smoke got out 

So I've got more rope cleaned out the old stuff and glued in place 

Have the fire on now working fine no carbon monoxide alarm going off so that' cool 

Will buy more smoke pellets  tomorrow and double check after a nights burn 

• Happy 1

Good result.  Thanks for letting us know!

But a small door leak shouldn't cause CO to leak into your cabin as the stove ought to be under a slight negative pressure.  You still need to verify that your flue/chimney is not blocked.

Edited by mross

12 minutes ago, mross said:

Good result.  Thanks for letting us know!

But a small door leak shouldn't cause CO to leak into your cabin as the stove ought to be under a slight negative pressure.  You still need to verify that your flue/chimney is not blocked.

Mine did, woke me up at 3 am it did, difficult to say if it was a small leak or not though.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Put it this way, he was slightly in the firing line when he with drew but I think he left the boat doors open, but can't remember for sure. The smoke must have gone somewhere with the brush going down the pipe.

Funnily enough,  I regularly do this, whithout the dipping in the cut, normally after work when the fire is low, drop baffle plate on the fire, close fire door, sweep, brush debris off baffle plate, reinstate baffle plate.

All while fire is still burning,  no smoke in the cabin or serious dust issues