Just saying hello before I launch 100 questions:)

heather2002

Featured Posts

Hi,

Rob and Heather here. I hadn't realized he had joined before I did heheh so we are both seperate members. Not so bad really. I can do a disclaimer if he asks anything dafter than me.

We are in the process of buying a boat - the very early process and it is all quite daunting really.

We are currently looking for a surveyor in the Hinckley area, which has proved more difficult than I ever imagined. So many of them seem to be on holiday at this time of the year. Will know tomorrow morning if the latest one we contacted is available, but! there is also an alledged "fussy" surveyor who is available!

Fingers crossed that when the boat is surveyed that it is going to be worth buying. It is a 1997 56ft narrowboat and looks very nice, but I haven't dived under to take a look and even if I did, I doubt that I'd spot anything.

We thought about boat sharing and did look into it but we are both getting on in years and want to get away every weekend possible and every holiday possible so we decided just to take a huge jump and go for it.

Assuming all is going to go well, I am jumping ahead to BBQ's. Can anyone recommend the best BBQ to buy? Gas? Charcoal?

Makes would also be useful as well as ones to avoid.

So glad I found this forum. Members seem very helpful and friendly. Hope that one day we can contribute and help others, but for now I'm afraid is going to be questions, questions, questions.

Happy boating

Heather and Rob

Hi,

Rob and Heather here. ...... for now I'm afraid is going to be questions, questions, questions.

Heather and Rob

Hi Heather,

Welcome to the forum. Can't help with your first questions, but maybe later...

Hmm. BBQs ....

Posh'n'Ponsy cooking outside like inside = Gas! Just like cooking inside, but with the pleasure of rain ....

Proper Experience = Charcoal. Just make sure it's really hot enough, and the flavour imparted is part of the proper experience.

Saying that.

Gas BBQs are quick to get going, easy to control, and nothing wrong with the flavour. Charcoal, on the other hand, can be a bugger to get going, difficult to control the heat, but food does taste good!

So, er, six of one, half a dozen of the other ....

[Ah. Chris slopes off realising that as reviews go - that sucked!]

I was at a caravan show in Newbury last year, and there was a stall selling their own design of barbecue.

It was very solid and a normal height, but you could pack it all down. It also had a big spit you could turn.

Only £20, really wish I'd bought one.

Have a look around the shows, they'll probably be selling them.

Oh yes - welcome to the forum, and hope you enjoy boating!

Edited by drunkensailor

Hi welcome to the forum.

We bought a folding gas barbecue from The Range about £35.00, and I think Homebase do something similar. We looked at charcoal but it seemed a lot of messing about on a boat, harder to get going and harder to clean.

Good luck with the boat.

:blush:

Ken

A gas barbecue could be a problem on board: where do you stow it safely?

I'd go for the proper charcoal version every time, and lighting one isn't a problem. Make a small paper and wood fire, pile on the charcoal, fan if necessary, then leave it for 45 minutes. Spread it out and cook. Easy.

Get a cheap one then not too many tears when you lose it over the side ! (guess what I did) seriously instore are selling s/steel folding barrel bbq's - used them for ages - caravan and camping, off ground, 2 areas if loads of you, smaller area when just 2. easy to store too.

Hi Again,

Many thanks for all the responses. I must say the one with the large spit sounds really appealing - Hog roast Mmmmm. Yum :blush: Will keep my eyes peeled for that one.

Lets hope we all get some decent BBQ weather soon.

Best wishes

Heather

Personally I'd rather have a 'fussy' surveyor than a sloppy one if there are such around. Who says he's 'fussy'? Hopefully not the seller or broker -- if it was then I'd be already backing away.

I got the narrowboat I was buying surveyed by Balliol Fowden from Rugby. 01788 541020T

I think he's pretty well regarded.

Anyway, he did me a damned good report, answered all my questions about it, gave me his opinion on whether the boat was worth the money etc.

Having owned the boat fr a few months now I haven't spotted any howlers he missed!

Hope he's not on holiday!

Hi there,

As far as the bbq question goes - I'd say charcoal every time. Never really seen the point of a gas bbq to be honest - you may as well just grill the food instead and save the hassle.

I would however be careful about the charcoal you buy - bit of a thing of mine!!

Avoid imported stuff like the plague - a lot of it (though not all of it I must add) comes from uncontrolled forest clearances in Asia - and because of the way it's made it's only about 60% converted to carbon - leading to lower temperatures and more smoke. There are around 300 Charcoal producers in the UK now - most of whom are producing charcoal from material from woodland management operations and controlled thinnings. So it should be possible to buy something made fairly locally wherever you end up, and support these guys who are working to ensure the futures of our native woodlands at the same time. British charcoal averages about 90% carbon and burns much hotter and comes to cooking temperature much quicker - I generally reckon on 10 - 15 minutes from scratch for the stuff I use and sell, which is made in The Lake District by a chap called Ian Taylor. If you haven't used it before - go steady - the first time we used it I piled it up as I'd always done before - and then had to wait about half an hour until it cooled down a bit!! It lights a lot easier than imported stuff too - Ian himself just uses a few balls of rolled up newspaper and ensures a bit of a draught. Unpleasant and smelly lighter fluids are not normally required.

The one product you should definitely avoid is the shaped charcoal briquettes - these are made of charcoal dust and a whole load of other stuff to help stick them together including borax, limestone, charred sawdust, starch, lignite coal dust, sodium nitrate etc etc - not what I'd want MY dinner cooking on thanks very much!

Here endeth the first lesson........ :blush:

Happy cooking - and boating!

Andy

>>>I would however be careful about the charcoal you buy - bit of a thing of mine!!

Avoid imported stuff like the plague - a lot of it (though not all of it I must add) comes from uncontrolled forest clearances in Asia - and because of the way it's made it's only about 60% converted to carbon - leading to lower temperatures and more smoke. <<<

Well you live and learn. I thought charcoal was just charcoal. I shall definitely be on the lookout for local charcoal.

Thanks for the tips

Heather

>>>I would however be careful about the charcoal you buy - bit of a thing of mine!!

Avoid imported stuff like the plague - a lot of it (though not all of it I must add) comes from uncontrolled forest clearances in Asia - and because of the way it's made it's only about 60% converted to carbon - leading to lower temperatures and more smoke. <<<

Well you live and learn. I thought charcoal was just charcoal. I shall definitely be on the lookout for local charcoal.

Thanks for the tips

Heather

You're welcome Heather!

If you want to do a little more reading on the subject - the Dorset Charcoal Company have an excellent website - at - surprisingly enough: this URL Nothing to do with me by the way - I'm at the other end of the country - but if you ever find yourself towards the Northern end of the Lancaster Canal, and want some charcoal - or eco friendly wood fuel for the stove, just give us a shout and I'll deliver to the boat if I can get the van anywhere reasonably close. I am easily swayed by cups of tea - and if cake is involved, I'll even wheel the stuff down to the cut to find you :blush:

All the best,

Andy

Hi,

Rob and Heather here. I hadn't realized he had joined before I did heheh so we are both seperate members. Not so bad really. I can do a disclaimer if he asks anything dafter than me.

We are in the process of buying a boat - the very early process and it is all quite daunting really.

We are currently looking for a surveyor in the Hinckley area, which has proved more difficult than I ever imagined. So many of them seem to be on holiday at this time of the year. Will know tomorrow morning if the latest one we contacted is available, but! there is also an alledged "fussy" surveyor who is available!

Fingers crossed that when the boat is surveyed that it is going to be worth buying. It is a 1997 56ft narrowboat and looks very nice, but I haven't dived under to take a look and even if I did, I doubt that I'd spot anything.

We thought about boat sharing and did look into it but we are both getting on in years and want to get away every weekend possible and every holiday possible so we decided just to take a huge jump and go for it.

Assuming all is going to go well, I am jumping ahead to BBQ's. Can anyone recommend the best BBQ to buy? Gas? Charcoal?

Makes would also be useful as well as ones to avoid.

So glad I found this forum. Members seem very helpful and friendly. Hope that one day we can contribute and help others, but for now I'm afraid is going to be questions, questions, questions.

Happy boating

Heather and Rob

Hi Heather.

I am an ex Merchant Navy Marine engineer. (Yes big boats that go to lumpy places). I retired a little less than five years ago at age 60.

Finding my brain deteriorating I studied for and obtained a Lloyds Academy Diploma in Small Craft Surveying with accreditation in Inland Waterways & Canal Craft. My intention was mainly to re-stimulate the old grey matter, and the subject chosen because I have owned a narrowboat for some 15 years and I naturally have an interest.

It was not my intention to actually take up surveying but have recently considered the possibility of doing so on a part time basis to earn some pin money to supplement my pension. Here is my dilemma, my catch 22.

To get recognised and an indemnity insurance I need a track record. To get a track record I need to have proof of work in the field. To get work in the field I need a track record and indemnity insurance.

I am considering offering my services free of charge, (Except for any expenses) in order to get things going.

I live in the Bedford area, Hinckley is about 55 miles, which I consider to be a reasonable travelling distance. Expenses (travelling and a meal) should be no more than £50 (Cautious estimate, probably less).

As said I am presently only considering this. Although I had grade "A's and B's" for all my course work I am presently a little nervous about actually taking it up.

You may contact me at Alan_Breck_Stewart@msn.com

Readers comments appreciated.

Rgds.

Alan Stewart

Dip. S.C. Surveying

Reg No. SmCrSur 07-039

Hi Alan.

I was in a position not dissimilar to you a few years ago. I too considered taking the necessary training and becoming a surveyor, I looked into it in some depth to the extent of getting prices and so on for the course which combined with other expenses would be quite expensive. I was however put off the idea by my local chap who explained that there is such a glut of surveyors at the present time that arithmetically every registered surveyor will have two inspections per week even if they are distributed evenly, but of course a newcomer would be competing with long established chaps and also with those that have commercial connections with other marine businesses.

So, much as I fancied getting involved I decided that it would be a struggle to find sufficient work to justify the initial expenditure.

Hi Alan.

I was in a position not dissimilar to you a few years ago. I too considered taking the necessary training and becoming a surveyor, I looked into it in some depth to the extent of getting prices and so on for the course which combined with other expenses would be quite expensive. I was however put off the idea by my local chap who explained that there is such a glut of surveyors at the present time that arithmetically every registered surveyor will have two inspections per week even if they are distributed evenly, but of course a newcomer would be competing with long established chaps and also with those that have commercial connections with other marine businesses.

So, much as I fancied getting involved I decided that it would be a struggle to find sufficient work to justify the initial expenditure.

Thanks for the comment John.

That's pretty much as I suspected. But why oh why can I never get hold of a surveyor when I need one?

It would also be nice to have a BSS examiners cert, because lots of people require that at the same time as the survey, but there is a massive waiting list for the training course. My last BSS examiner said that there were already too many in the area, but then he would say that, wouldnt he?

I would have thought there would have been a shortage of BSS examiners with the Broads now coming under the BSS Scheme.

Rgds

Alan

(Radiomariner)

• 1 month later...