Mullered Batteries.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

On 30/08/2017 at 17:56, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok lets pick this apart. 

Say I buy a brand new battery and connect it up to my 12v fridge and my 560w of solar, and generally get on with living on my boat. 

When will be classed as 'after use'?

Buy reasonable el cheapos, use til nackered, replace. Rinse and repeat....

This kinda leads to a quick battery selection guide:

Interested in the fine print of your batt monitor manual and the wise sayings of The Battery FAQ?

- No? Fit reasonable el cheapos.

- Yes? You probably already know what batteries are best... :)

As an aside the lumpy water forums have loads of experience with AGMs:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Acruisersforum.com+agm+batteries

Eg:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/agm-batteries-vs-wet-cell-11996.html#post123545

So no AGMs for MtB. :) Probably OK in a mostly marina (with shoreline) based boat.

Edited by smileypete

31 minutes ago, smileypete said:

Hmmm...

"Lifeline now states on their web site that their AGM batteries must be recharged to 100% every time that they are charged for maximum battery life. Failure to charge to 100% every time will result premature battery failure."

"We have met many cruisers who have left their AGMs behind and taken on Trojans like we have."

... which the manufacturers state must be charged to 100% after every discharge for maximum battery life...

Obviously I'm missing something.

If you can't charge to 100% regularly then buy cheap batteries, do your best with them, and when they die throw them away and buy new cheap ones.  

Unsurprisingly ALL types of lead acid battery will begin to sulphate if not recharged back to 100% after a discharge. 

Other types of battery (nickel iron, nickel cadmium and lithium ion spring to mind) don't suffer this problem, but have their own problems that lead acid batteries dont haveyou,  hence the contined popularity of leadcacid batteries.

If you really cannot fully recharge every time,  the NIFE batteries are probably the most cost effective at the present moment, but have a lower cell voltage and a much wider charged to flat voltage range than lead acid.