Remove pump out

jeff     b

Featured Posts

On 27/08/2017 at 23:32, Sea Dog said:

When I think of all the things that can go wrong with a boat, this one wouldn't even make my reserve list! Has anyone actually had a 'burst'? Someone earlier mentioned a whiff from under the bed leading to a tank replacement, but surely there's not really a risk of catastrophic failure.

Each to their own on loo types, but I would have thought you're far more likely to come into contact with sewage on daily visits to the sanitary station than in some horrendous sh.. tank based explosion reminiscent of a Tom Sharpe novel. ;)

I had a long chat with a couple who had had to have their entire boat refitted after the pump out tank failed. The boat I was on had a porta potti, and so did the 3 boats I had subsequent to the first.

1 hour ago, Suzi said:

I have a disused integral pump out tank on my boaty which I want to remove.  If I just cut the top off, leaving the bottom, would I still need new ribs etc welded in?  I've also asked sane question on the Black Prince owner's page.

I want to do the most cost effective possible and look at all options before I decide which way I'll go......I desperately want the space for a dinette type area though rather than wasted tank space.....flippitty flip ?

Any idea or information much appreciated, thank youu.

Just to add that I currently have bed over the tank, so if all else fails maybe I'll just have to spray foam and leave as is and use area at back of boat I was going to put bedroom as a dinette type area......my partner can cut and weld etc no bother but.........

Just spoken to surveyor and it's ok to cut tank down to about 3 inches all round but preferably leave about 6 inches on hull side to create a brace effect......most important but is to check for any pitting etc and deal with such.  Happy bunny now....thank you ?

2 hours ago, Suzi said:

Just spoken to surveyor and it's ok to cut tank down to about 3 inches all round but preferably leave about 6 inches on hull side to create a brace effect......most important but is to check for any pitting etc and deal with such.  Happy bunny now....thank you ?

Yipeeeeeeee now you can have a proper boat bog ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yipeeeeeeee now you can have a proper boat bog ?

Well that's the thing...... she's converted to cassette and as far as I can fathom the tank hasn't been used for at least 7 years ????......I'd have compost if I had my way but what I have is all goodly....just this redundant lovely tank....?

Nearly through my norovirus. So glad I'm not on my boat.  So glad that I'm not on my boat with a cassette loo filling up at 3 times its normal rate.  So very glad I don't have to empty cassettes at a sanistation where somebody else has emptied their norovirused cassettes.  According to wiki you only need to ingest ~20 cells and you've got it.  Give me a good pumpout setup everytime.

• Greenie 3