Sterling Pro Combi Quasi Sine Wave Inverter not Charging Starter Battery

Alex Cat

Featured Posts

I've inherited a Sterling Pro Combi Quasi Sine Wave inverter.
https://sterling-power.com/products/pro-combi-q-quasi-sine-wave

I've been on shoreline for the past few days and was intrigued that although my leisures are running at around 13, my starter is at 12.
I've been advised that this is because the inverter isn't charging my starter battery - that'll only be done via the alternator when I run the engine.

Does this mean that even on shoreline and in a marina, one has to run one's engine to maintain the health of the starter battery?
And should I be concerned that my starter battery has been on 12V the past 3 days?....

Absolutely (again ;)

Only a look at the wiring diagram will tell us what's currently there. 

It's quite possible that they have a split charge relay which will put back the few Ah that the starter batt used in double quick time when the engine is running, so the previous owner wasn't worried about it when on shore power. 

• Greenie 1

If you carnt be arsed messing with your boat wiring you could easily purchase a small output smart charger and just connect to batteries and plug into mains socket whilst on landline. Or slightly more faffing and a bit more money a small solar panel say 40 watts dedicated to your starter battery would always ensure its topped up albeit slowly in the winter.