HS2 canal crossing points

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I only quoted numbers of direct journeys between London Euston and Birmingham New Street, and London Euston and Manchester Piccadilly in order to demonstrate that were thousands of people wanting to make that journey each day in response to you questioning the demand for such.

Those are the largest long distance flows from London Euston but they only represent about 10% of the overall numbers of people using the routes out of Euston station.

HS2 Ltd has stated that it will have increased capacity but it is essentially a replacement for both West Coast and East Coast main lines once Phase 2b is built.That additional capacity is nothing like the number you have calculated.

JP

We can chuck numbers at each other all day, so I'll leave it with this one.

UK population circa 60 million, HS2 capacity 316,800 .... circa 1 in 200 can travel each way each day .... if you think that's a realistic use OK, I doubt anywhere near that many people will use it.

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

A QUESTION ASIDE.

This is a new railway network, with new track, tunnels, bridges and rolling stock, yes?

Is the loading gauge and track clearances of a size to allow high speed freight use when the expected passenger increase doesn't happen?

Will a standard 12m shipping container fit everywhere?

It is being built to the same gauge and clearance as HS1, so yes they will fit.

51 minutes ago, KevMc said:

We can chuck numbers at each other all day, so I'll leave it with this one.

UK population circa 60 million, HS2 capacity 316,800 .... circa 1 in 200 can travel each way each day .... if you think that's a realistic use OK, I doubt anywhere near that many people will use it.

They won't. That assumes 14 double length trains run every hour for over 20 hours of the day, 7 days a week, and that the load factors are 100% for every train. That won't happen and it doesn't need to.

It's your business whether you support the idea or not and you don't have to justify your view to me or anyone else. Just that if you want to discuss the merits in a serious way it needs objective analysis and facts. A bit of knowledge and experience helps too.

I acknowledge your 40-67% electricity statistic has provenance. It is though a commercial document it comes from. I still can't come close to reconciling it with a basic calculation of fleet and network sizes of HS2 and the conventional network though, even when using the comparative numbers in KPMGs report. Still, it remains a fact that HS2 will need a lot of power (unless of course no one turns up to use it).

Agree we should go and post about boating.

JP

20 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

On TV last night a train direct from China to London, cheaper and quicker that transporting containers by sea

Although I am very pro rail freight, as my posting history demonstrates, that programme was wrong on several counts (although I did not watch it).

Through freight trains from China to the UK involve several changes of gauge, hence the use of containers for quick transshipment.

Through rail freight straddles between sea and air transport, i.e. it is quicker than sea, but dearer, and cheaper than air, but slower.  Hence it is developing its own niche market.

George