Antifreeze Change

Featured Posts

Hi aim going to change the Antifreeze in our narrow boat , its a Liverpool boat with a keel cooling and a Isuzu 35 hp engine how much water do they hold and is it a 50/50 split and do i use pink or blue Antifreeze thanks for ant help 

As long as you flush it with several changes of clean water and run up to temperature use whichever you like. If you can identify the existing colour use the same and no need to flush.

50-50 is the absolute maximum. 30% antifreeze shoudl be fine and as long as you use the same mixture for topping up a 25% one will be OK.

With a 50% mixture you can top up with plain water for ages before the dilution gets too low.

You tell us the dimensions of your skin tank, the size and length of ALL cooling system pipe runs and the dimensions of any calorifier coils and we can tell you how much it holds The only way to find out is to drain down and then refill with water using a measuring jug. Then note the capacity for future reference. My guess is that 10 litres will be more than enough, especially if you fill at 33.3% (two measures of water to one of antifreeze.

The cooling system capacity on my Beta 43 with a single skin tank isv40 litres.

The heating system capacity on my 60 foot boat is 25 litres.

Each boat is likey to be different, so worth measuring the cooling and heating system capacities and noting them for future reference.