Middlewich

Maverick

Featured Posts

Did have trouble in some locks holding the boat back by the engine and climbed out at a lot and held it by rope.

You are talking about the Cheshire Locks (aka Heartbreak Hill) aren't you?

Well, there is a solution to the holding back when going up problem in these locks.....

Don't!

Unless you are in a sub-40ft boat (or have a gargantuan engine), it simply cannot be done. The forward draw from the upper paddles is just too great for most narrowboat engines to counteract, and trying to do it will inevitably lead to being smashed into the head of the lock.

Why fight it, with engines roaring, when there is an easier answer.

Ride the rubbing board at the head end when going up. That is, after all, what it is there for.

Instructions for ascending Cheshire Locks without Stress

1. On entering the lock, nudge up to the rubbing board.
  2. Decline all well-meaning offers of help. They will simply whip up paddles and smash you about.
  3. Put the engine into tickover forward
  4. Draw one head paddle halfway
  5. cross to the other side
  6. wait for the boat to ease back from the rubbing board, then fully draw the other head paddle
  7. cross back
  8. finish drawing the first paddle
  9. Engine in neutral
  10. As the bow fender reaches the top of the rubbing board, engage tickover in reverse to prevent a bump as you slide forward onto the gate
  11. as soon as you are rubbing up the gate, back to neutral.

Easy!

Oh dear this one keeps coming up. The best and simplest method of using locks.

Always position your boat, whether going up or down, at the downhill end of the lock within a very few inches of the gate or even lightly touching it, the water surge will not then get behind the boat and you will be guaranteed a gentle vertical passage, usually with hardly any use of the engine at all, and certainly no ropes.

Please don't respond by telling me this is rubbish until you have tried it.

(Full length boats are different)

Edited by John Orentas

Oh dear this one keeps coming up. The best and simplest method of using locks.

Always position you boat, whether going up or down, at the downhill end of the lock within a very few inches of the gate or even lightly touching it, the water surge will not then get behind the boat and you will be guaranteed a gentle vertical passage, usually with hardly any use of the engine at all, and certainly no ropes.

Please don't respond by telling me this is rubbish until you have tried it.

(Full length boats are different)

OK, I'm clearly entitled to respond and tell you that this is rubbish, on the grounds that I have tried it many, many times!

The discussion relates to the Cheshire Locks (Heartbreak Hill). You can bring forward any number of theories about water flows, and fluid dynamics, but the fact remains that in these particular locks any boat greater than about 40' in length cannot be held back by the engine when going uphill.

I could put forward a scientific theory that this is caused by a water circulation being established that pulls the boat forward due to water close to the surface moving forward, whilst water deeper in the lock moves backwards, and that it is all down to friction between the baseplate and the water immediately beneath it.

I could even speculate on it being a variation of the venturi effect.

However, the exact cause isn't relevant, because there is ample empirical evidence that if any part of the boat is within the upper half of the chamber, it will be drawn forward by the paddle flow.

Fully agree with your advice for locks in general, but as with every rule, there is an exception, and the Cheshire Locks are that exception.

I recently soloed up the Cheshire flight, and as I was catching up the crew in front I must have been doing something right. I stopped the boat nudging the gate in gear at tickover. Then went up and opened paddles then opened one gate. The boat would gently open the other gate while I nipped back on board. I then went to the end of the lock, again with the boat in gear at tickover. Shut bottom gates, opened top paddles, usually one fully then the other half way then full, keeping an eye on the fender as the boat rose.

No problems at all, the boat held against the cill, then gate and hardly moved at all.

Although it can be said that no two locks are the same, the locks of Heartbreak Hill are certainly not unique in any way and function in exactly the same way as hundreds of others, speculate all you like, the venturi effect it works the same way in Cheshire as it does anywhere else.

And what is all this 'Cheshire Locks or flight' anyway. What is wrong with the name it has had for as long as anyone can remember.

I find the name "Heartbreak Hill" very cheesy and so I don't, and have never used it.

I find the name Bridgewater unattractive, smacks of the aristocracy I call it the 'Manchester to Runcorn canal'.

It is a case of historical accuracy if we all changed the names of things out of personal preference were would we be.

I can understand why the Navvies in the 1830's called it Heartbreak Hill but it's better than the reputation suggests now. There are plenty of places to stop, pubs along the way with lovely countryside and some locks are paired so there's a better chance in finding a lock in your favour.

Although it can be said that no two locks are the same, the locks of Heartbreak Hill are certainly not unique in any way and function in exactly the same way as hundreds of others, speculate all you like, the venturi effect it works the same way in Cheshire as it does anywhere else.

With respect;

Poppycock!

The dynamics of the way each lock works are governed by the way in which the ground paddle culverts enter the chamber, as this will be instrumental in determining the predominant water circulation within the lock.

The culverts on this flight appear to cause a water circulation which tends to causeboats to move forwards. Other culverts arrangements will cause other effects.

In any case, like I said, it matters not a jot what the science behind it is. The fact is that for whatever reason, these lock DO behave in this fashion. You may feel free to position your boat where you like in the locks. I will feel free to observe that people who position their boats at the back of these locks when going uphill regularly find it a rough ride, and would get a smoother ride at the front of the chamber.

And what is all this 'Cheshire Locks or flight' anyway. What is wrong with the name it has had for as long as anyone can remember.

Hmm.

For as long as anybody can remember (and before that), these locks were called the Cheshire Locks. "Heartbreak Hill" is a far later invention as a name.

For as long as anybody can remember (and before that), these locks were called the Cheshire Locks. "Heartbreak Hill" is a far later invention as a name.

I disagree. Although I can't quote any sources at the moment, I've read somewhere, in a few different publications that the navvies in the 1830's named the Cheshire Locks Heatbreak Hill. Whether this is correct or not I don't know but as I said, I've read it numerous times from different sources so I'll go with that.

I disagree. Although I can't quote any sources at the moment, I've read somewhere, in a few different publications that the navvies in the 1830's named the Cheshire Locks Heatbreak Hill. Whether this is correct or not I don't know but as I said, I've read it numerous times from different sources so I'll go with that.

I've always believed 'heartbreak hill' to be an invention of early (1960's?) pleasure boaters, boatmen that I knew always talked of them as 'Cheshire Locks'

After all, they're not really 'heartbreaking' compared with some other lock flights!

Tim

We have used the locks many times and when going up the flight always stay at the rear of the lock with the tiller pushed to one side so that the rudder does not get stuck in the gates.

The steerer keeps the boat at the rear sometimes with a gentle burst of reverse and the lock paddles are opened half way and then all the way after a minute or so.

Our boat is a 40ft narrowboat and we find this method suits us best.

Steve

We have used the locks many times and when going up the flight always stay at the rear of the lock with the tiller pushed to one side so that the rudder does not get stuck in the gates.

The steerer keeps the boat at the rear sometimes with a gentle burst of reverse and the lock paddles are opened half way and then all the way after a minute or so.

Our boat is a 40ft narrowboat and we find this method suits us best.

Steve

Yup, this method works perfectly well up to 40'

At 45' it no longer works.

Yup, this method works perfectly well up to 40'

At 45' it no longer works.

I have a 30 footer and keeping the boat at the back certainly didnt work for me, the forward force of the water was to great and I was been hurled forward. Even when at the next lock I told the crew to open the paddles more slowly it still lurched me forward as The lock was almost full. Thats when I decided to climb out the lock and try to hold it back with a rope which almost pulled my bloody shoulders out their sockets.

I do believe from my short boating experiences that these locks on heartbreak hill do respond differently to others for some reason. Perhaps its yet another ghost of the waterways having a laugh at our expense???

I'll be trying to nestle up to the front gate in future and hope for better results.

I have a 30 footer and keeping the boat at the back certainly didnt work for me, the forward force of the water was to great and I was been hurled forward. Even when at the next lock I told the crew to open the paddles more slowly it still lurched me forward as The lock was almost full. Thats when I decided to climb out the lock and try to hold it back with a rope which almost pulled my bloody shoulders out their sockets.

I do believe from my short boating experiences that these locks on heartbreak hill do respond differently to others for some reason. Perhaps its yet another ghost of the waterways having a laugh at our expense???

I'll be trying to nestle up to the front gate in future and hope for better results.

They certainly do behave differently, although they are usually OK for shorter boats.

However, sitting at the front works for all boats.

They certainly do behave differently, although they are usually OK for shorter boats.

However, sitting at the front works for all boats.

I remember wheelock well - this was the first lock we took after takign delivery of "another way" 58ft ... and yes you can certainly get up some speed hanging at the back of the lock on the first wheelock lock... nearly knocked me off my feet... we very quickly developed the slow open technique...

So for heartbreak we nudge the rubbing board and open each paddle slowly...

However the uphill cill on the shroppie has a metal bar that protrudes further into the lock chamber with a rubbing bar on this.. however you slip off this if you are holding forward as you rise and whallop the sill bar with your bow (not your front fender), so I always hang back in the shroppie until while the first paddles are opened then slowly move forwards to rub on the lock gate...

Simes.

Edited by twoputtyrats