Getting boat BSS ready - GAS Questoion

Featured Posts

When we bought WotEver it only had a test point. Not being qualified I wasn't about to start playing with manometers but I didn't want to leave it 4 years between gas soundness tests. So I paid a gas bod to fit a bubble tester (which I bought, and changed the fittings on) so that I could perform my own soundness test whenever I felt like it. 

As a bonus, the next BSS had a discount for the presence of the tester, which covered the cost of having it fitted. 

35 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I appreciate your point WotEver. Trouble is in my case I`m following the view that "don`t mess with gas-or electricity" so I employed a Marine qualified Gas Safe engineer who was paid to complete the installation. It is what he fitted.  As I said in another topic. Take it to an expert If you know one. It`s only now following this topic that I feel perhaps I should requested he fit one. But at the time I did not know. That is the problem is it not?

The GS engineer has no benefit in fitting a bubble tester as it only takes a few moments so not much more money for him PLUS every time you are concerned about a leak and knowing you don't like to work with gas yourself - otherwise you would have fitted the system yourself - you will call out a GS registered engineer.  Future work.  Of course had you asked him to fit one, I'm sure he would have been happy to.  It is always difficult to know what you don't know, but you can always ask on here for things a new system requires.  However you will get some interesting replies, mainly based on different peoples perception of risk and ability to do jobs competently themselves.  

Added  -  You can probably add a bubble tester to your system - assuming your gas locker has space for one - the parts cost about £50 and it should take less than an hour to fit and test, plus travel/call out etc.  I will not suggest fitting it yourself given your comments above.

Edited by Chewbacka

On 06/05/2017 at 08:15, jddevel said:

I appreciate your point WotEver. Trouble is in my case I`m following the view that "don`t mess with gas-or electricity" so I employed a Marine qualified Gas Safe engineer who was paid to complete the installation. It is what he fitted.  As I said in another topic. Take it to an expert If you know one. It`s only now following this topic that I feel perhaps I should requested he fit one. But at the time I did not know. That is the problem is it not?

Most curious. I too am a "Marine qualified Gas Safe engineer" (for want of a more accurate term), and I always fit a test point as a matter of routine. The fact that the BSS doesn't mandate a test point does not mean a test point isn't necessary as part of a complete and properly designed gas system. Having said that, gas appliances sometimes have a test point on the inlet so this can be used as a substitute for all but one of the uses I can think of for a correctly located pressure test nipple.

On 05/05/2017 at 22:07, jddevel said:

An update on my "preliminary" visit by a DSS inspector on the point of gas inspection. I only have a test point NO BUBBLE TESTER. He made no remark concerning not having one but did want confirmation that a non return valve was in incorporated it the pipework in the gas locker.

Your circumstance is different from the OP though. The OP asked if a test nipple was mandatory for BSS only. Your bod is fitting your system to comply with RCD, a far more stringent standard. A non return valve is not mandated for BSS either. 

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

otherwise you would have fitted the system yourself

I suppose my history in the house building market as a developer whilst dealing and installing with both mains gas and domestic installation in the last 40 plus years has in a way made me lazy BUT in that environment building control HAS to see documentation that the installation has been certified by a registered Gas Safe engineer. PLUS and most importantly in my view any problems leading to litigation would help my argument if I believed I was not at fault.

28 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I always fit a test point as a matter of routine

In my case if I did not make myself clear a test point WAS fitted and as a leisure user I will have the system tested annually by a Gas Safe engineer anyway. Engineer has confirmed non return valves were fitted in each hose besides the change over valve.