Deep Discharge Batteries

johnbutty

Featured Posts

As is often stated here on the forum the advice here freely given has to be weighed against budget. I suppose I`m looking for utopia and whilst I understand many items are to be looked on as "disposable" if it`s worth it I`ll stretch the budget.

5 minutes ago, jddevel said:

As is often stated here on the forum the advice here freely given has to be weighed against budget. I suppose I`m looking for utopia and whilst I understand many items are to be looked on as "disposable" if it`s worth it I`ll stretch the budget.

It is often advised to initially buy cheapy batteries until you are confident enough with your charging regime, and then upgrade to better ones. 

The only drawback with this is that your battery box and cables may also need altering if the batteries are a different size. 

It's always a compromise imo. 

Edited by rusty69

To be honest batteries are one of the main discussions held on here nearly daily. There is not one answer. I have fitted at the moment a set of four 110 amp hour 12 volt jobbies from Sawley Marina wet cell cheapies they are marketed as " Brit marine " batteries they are now well over two years old and still fulfilling their duty admirably. I am a full time off grid liveaboard. The batteries are sealed and I havnt been near them since fitted in January 15. Much depends on charging. Mine are done daily without fail unless I am away but then I leave them charged and solar keeps them that way. I do not give them abuse in so much as big loads such as washing machine are never done through the inverter as I have a travel power unit fitted ( awesome ) but neverthe less they are cycled daily so far well over 700 times so far. When I replace them I will buy the same again.

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Just been reading a bit about deep discharge traction batteries in forklifts and electric cars. How different are they to those that some use on canal boats or is it just a physical size that is a problem?

They're simply built 'better'. Better construction, better paste, better plates, deeper space at the bottom for shed material etc. Because of this they're bigger, much heavier, and more expensive.