Solar vent / BSS ventilation requirement

Sir Percy

Featured Posts

Most BSS inspectors regard such a vent as being a fixed vent obstructed by a stationary fan, assuming that it may have stopped because of a lack of sun. Typically it is assumed that half the available vent is blocked, so you will need additional ventilation unless the size of the vent meets the requirements for your cabin under these conditions which it probably won't.

It is of course only advisory these days, but your insurance company may take a dim view if you ignore an advisory.

Hi,

I've just fitted a solar-powered fan vent https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Solar-01320MM1-Vent-300/dp/B000BYNGLU

in a smallish front cabin (around 15').

Would I need to fit something in addition to meet BSS for high-level fixed ventilation?

TIA

Look in the BSS regs . Ch8/15 refers. http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf

It depends on what is in your 15ft cabin contains eg gas stove, solid fuel stove etc. I don't think a solar powered vent would be allowed under the BSS as it will only work when the sun is shining & not at night.

Look in the BSS regs . Ch8/15 refers. http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/180428/bss%20guide%202005%20complete%20web.pdf

It depends on what is in your 15ft cabin contains eg gas stove, solid fuel stove etc. I don't think a solar powered vent would be allowed under the BSS as it will only work when the sun is shining & not at night.

Maybe if you fitted both a 'solar-fan' an a 'lunar-fan' you'd be OK

I have a solar fan which incorporates a rechargeable battery that will run the fan for about 3 days after a few hours of cloudy sunshine. It runs 24/7 even in the depths of winter but for BSS purposes it counts only as an obstructed ventilator so that I was required to provide additional high level ventilation to pass the examination.

I have a solar fan which incorporates a rechargeable battery that will run the fan for about 3 days after a few hours of cloudy sunshine. It runs 24/7 even in the depths of winter but for BSS purposes it counts only as an obstructed ventilator so that I was required to provide additional high level ventilation to pass the examination.

It is only advisory so how could he not pass it, and how would your insurance co know about it.

Neil

Most BSS inspectors regard such a vent as being a fixed vent obstructed by a stationary fan, assuming that it may have stopped because of a lack of sun. Typically it is assumed that half the available vent is blocked, so you will need additional ventilation unless the size of the vent meets the requirements for your cabin under these conditions which it probably won't.

It is of course only advisory these days, but your insurance company may take a dim view if you ignore an advisory.

Thanks....

Thanks. Won't be any appliances in front cabin. Ch8/Pg15 refers to a formula for ventilation requirements in 'Annex B of PD 5482-3' pertaining to appliances.

So I guess that the formula

Minimum effective area (mm2) = [2200xU]+[650xP]+[440xF]

U = total input rating (kW) for all appliances (including cookers) without flues

P = number of people for which the compartment is designed

F = input rating (kW) for all open or closed flue appliances

for my 1-person example collapses to:

650mm2

Maybe if you fitted both a 'solar-fan' an a 'lunar-fan' you'd be OK

wink.png

When the fan is stopped, it's obstructed (by the fan blades), but not completely blocked. I suppose I could work out effective aperture size and halve as Keeping Up suggests.

I have a solar fan which incorporates a rechargeable battery that will run the fan...

Yep, same here

Edited by Sir Percy