elex without using a switch from shoreline to inverter

sunho

Featured Posts

I don't have a remote so am unsure what would happen if I did. As things are, it appears to be off when switched to the remote position; all the indicator lights go off, exactly as if I had chosen the "off" position.

I will have another look at the manual when I'm back on the boat - on first sight I was a bit put off by it's sheer thickness and only glanced at it.

I don't have a remote so am unsure what would happen if I did. As things are, it appears to be off when switched to the remote position; all the indicator lights go off, exactly as if I had chosen the "off" position.

I will have another look at the manual when I'm back on the boat - on first sight I was a bit put off by it's sheer thickness and only glanced at it.

Look for 'battery charging' as a section.

I hadn't noticed the lack of RCD when on inverter. Ideally you'd only have one (but there's no real problem with having two) and it would be wired at the end of your flex prior to entering the CU. Even easier, you could use a plug-in one permanently plugged into your inverter output. You're correct that it's only a strong recommendation from BSS but it's recommended for a good reason - your safety smile.png

We've also had reports on here of inspectors (wrongly, we believe) refusing a BSS where they have noticed the absence of one. That probably wouldn't happen in your case as you do have one on the shore power input.

Seeing as it would be simple to fit one, and they don't cost much, why not have one?

Thanks: you have reminded me of the spare plug-in one that I have somewhere in the garage. I will look for it!

I should add that,if I leave the battery charger on when the boat is unattended, then I plug it direct into the shore power RCD, so that the rest of the wiring around the boat is not live.

Thanks, I'll have another think about this, it would be straightforward to add one. My understanding of the BSS is that a RCD is strongly recommended (here).

I had read it a few days ago as my Bss exam is due. I couldn't believe that it is only "strongly recomended". Any domestic installation where there are conductive parts that could become live under fault conditions (a floating steel can should probably count! Imho) and equipment used outdoors (trailing lead from a generator) or equipment in a kitchen or bathroom and rcd or rcbo should be used. You would think it would be similar to caravans?

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/61/caravans/index.cfm

In a house there are not many occasions now when you don't need rcd / rcbo protection.

Edited by tonyt40

I had read it a few days ago as my Bss exam is due. I couldn't believe that it is only "strongly recomended". Any domestic installation where there are conductive parts that could become live under fault conditions (a floating steel can should probably count! Imho) and equipment used outdoors (trailing lead from a generator) or equipment in a kitchen or bathroom and rcd or rcbo should be used. You would think it would be similar to caravans?

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/61/caravans/index.cfm

In a house there are not many occasions now when you don't need rcd / rcbo protection.

I've now found my spare RCD at home and will install it when I next visit the boat. Thanks for the prompts/chivvying!