Powering a 8KW motor from a generator

Featured Posts

An NB takes about 1 liter of fuel or less per hour, if charging isn't counting, that's 3-4 HP or 2,2 - 3 kW

say 2,5 kW, (some can probably be saved without gearbox, and with a low friction prop shaft, and a big propeller.

with 10.5 kWh it will run for 4 hours between the locks. that's a full day if there is lots of locks.

1.6kW of solar will give 5-8 kW in one day in summer. so cruising one day and resting one will do. they will charge the day out cruising also.

it will not work if we say it is impossible,

I think your costing may be a little 'on the optimistic side'.

110Ah 12v AGM batteries £184 each, so 16 of = £2944

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/prodshow/_110AH_12V_AGM_Deep_Cycling_Sealed_Battery/AGM110.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5Xq0UdBDplcB4i33JDCxD6c61yKOzAe5DsYgULSV4KTaRoCExzw_wcB

'Cheap' solar panels are available at around £1 per watt, but suggested for 'liveaboard usage' is this

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/prodshow/Sunshine_Polycrystalline_250W_Solar_PV_Module/REN250W.html

at £377 for 250 watts, 6 of these (1500w) will cost £2262

Lets add in another £600 + for a 60A MPPT controller.

Total so far (for batteries and solar panels) = £5806, leaving £2000 for the motor, controllers, cabling etc etc etc.

If you are going to 'do it' then cutting corners using 'cheap' components (batteries etc) is not going to work.

I would suggest that for most of the year you will be spending more on fuel to run the generator than you would with a conventional engine, gearbox and shaft.

As noted above, the solar is unlikely run / power the motor and 'liveaboard' usage.

My figures were:

Batteries. £1800

Solar £1500

Cables etc. £300

40A controller is ample at 48v but even allowing £600 that only totals £4200 so plenty left for the drive based on the Thunderstuck package. I might even be tempted to try a cheaper controller. Not sure why you would opt for polycrystaylline panels.

Most folk manage with a couple of 110Ah LBs for general use. I'm not planning to do the ironing and run a tumble dryer. Any heavier usage would be avoided if cruising.

You need a certain amount of power to stop a boat and to turn smartly but think of it this way; if you ran at 100% with a 40hp diesel on a straight bit of reasonably deep canal, you would soon exceed the 4mph limit and make a tremendous wash. The normal power used from most canal boat engines will be much less than rated power.

An electric boat can provide extra power when needed without killing the batteries. I think you would need a bow thruster as you won't be able to give it real welly on tight turns.

Most folk manage with a couple of 110Ah LBs for general use. I'm not planning to do the ironing and run a tumble dryer. Any heavier usage would be avoided if cruising.

That may be an interesting question to ask other liveaboards.

I know of know of no, non-marina based liveaboards that manage with 2 x 110Ah batteries. ( as previously noted I have 6 x 230Ah).

Working on a max of 50% discharge would give you 110Ah per day to 'play with'. (Bear in mind that that is only available with brand new batteries, after a few months the capacity will be reduced by an 'amount')

A fridge would normally be around 40Ah per day, a freezer, similar, add in computer, phone charging, lights, pumps, etc etc and you are soon over 110Ah

Liveaboard boaters (unlike 'leisure boaters') are unlikely to be cruising for a few hours EVERY day to replace the power used. In my experience Liveaboards will generally be stopping in places for several days at a time and their batteries need to support that.

That may be an interesting question to ask other liveaboards.

I know of know of no, non-marina based liveaboards that manage with 2 x 110Ah batteries. ( as previously noted I have 6 x 230Ah).

I would say 4-5 is more common in my experience of the boats I've seen.

I would say 4-5 is more common in my experience of the boats I've seen.

That's a fair comment but still well within my planned capacity. I think it would be fun to rig up a bike on a TurboTrainer with an e-bike rear wheel and use it to help charge the batteries. It occurred to me soon into the new year when I realised my resolution to get into better shape would be more achievable if there were some incentive. It seems a shame to exert oneself just to waste all that energy. Not sure it would work on a 48v system as they tend to be rated at 48v input. Probably work on a 12v or 24v system though with a suitable controller.

That's a fair comment but still well within my planned capacity. I think it would be fun to rig up a bike on a TurboTrainer with an e-bike rear wheel and use it to help charge the batteries. It occurred to me soon into the new year when I realised my resolution to get into better shape would be more achievable if there were some incentive. It seems a shame to exert oneself just to waste all that energy. Not sure it would work on a 48v system as they tend to be rated at 48v input. Probably work on a 12v or 24v system though with a suitable controller.

Everyone always underestimates how much power they will use on a day to day bases. 600watt of solar is usually good enough for most during summer without generating electric elsewhere. However if off grid in winter, you use more electric and get no sun light so you'll get bugger all from your solar panels for just day to day living. I like your project and it's been done before, however I would have a decent built in diesel generator for charging the batteries when needed.