house coal and when to use it

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

One peice of house coal in my stove, which is a Squirrel that I re built myself and is so well sealed that the only air leak is from the roll pin in the door catch, gives me a banging headache and a sore throat, please don't burn this stuff anywhere near any civilisation.

When taking a boat to the historic gathering at the Black Country Living Museum, they used to supply free house coal so you could create the correct "atmosphere"! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

I'd much prefer to mix petcoke with smokeless. Petcoke is very easy to light and gives off no smoke. It's cheap. It's not as easy as smokeless to keep in overnight. The one caveat with this otherwise close to perfect fuel, as a mixer, is that you shouldn't pile it in with vents open as it can apparently get so hot it can burn through the grate.

The deisel i burn for the diesel heater is free.

Can I have some of that please? How so?

When taking a boat to the historic gathering at the Black Country Living Museum, they used to supply free house coal so you could create the correct "atmosphere"! smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired

​isn't there a coal merchant in New Mills that can supply "Smokey Rally Coal" , but that's what you have to specify when ordering?

Can I have some of that please? How so?

​isn't there a coal merchant in New Mills that can supply "Smokey Rally Coal" , but that's what you have to specify when ordering?

Get it from changing diesel filters all day long. Filter the diesel still in the filters then run the diesel threw a car filter with a pump into fuel container that then goes into my tank. Works fine as long as you drain the filters the correct way this way any muck in the filter isnt in the fuel. I filter it agai just to remove any dirt that did get threw. Get around 5L a month enough to run my webasto for the year

I have never found a massive price difference between house coal and smokeless. My merchant 2 years ago charged £7 for house coal and £9.25 for smokeless.

I tried a bag as very skint for a week and the house coal burnt very hot but needed refuelling much more whereas the smokeless I could refuel every 3 hours and if shut down could last 13 hours.

As I live in a Marina I only burn smokeless and recently everyone got a note to say no logs to be burnt, and only smokeless to be used.

Jamescheers.gif

Cost me about £6 a bag for both not that long ago for 25kg bags

I bought 10 bags of each. One of the bags is rogers fuels not sure on other all bought from working boat sellers, i wont buy my fuel or coal from any other place as i want to keep the trading going.

Cant remember exact price but was well under what i expected. Im sure it worked out around £6 something a bag

Edited by billybobbooth