End of garden mooring on a river

i911e

Featured Posts

I didn't know that. Thanks. But can CRT refuse to issue a cruising license if you don't have a permanent approved mooring - or declare you are a CC..

That's another whole can of worms - C&RT cannot demand a 'licence' for a boat on a PRN River, and .......................... it all gets very complicated with 'PB certificates', 'registrations', 'main navigable channel', 'channel' etc etc. If you don't need to know - better not to ask.

This (for example) from the 1976 Bye-Laws :

(1) No person shall knowingly cause or permit to be brought, kept, let for hire or used on any canal (not being a river waterway) any pleasure boat unless there is then in force in relation to the pleasure boat a pleasure boat licence

(My 'BOLD' highlighted to show it excludes Rivers)

The Leigh Ravenscroft and Tony Dunkley court cases revolve around these differences.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I didn't know that. Thanks. But can CRT refuse to issue a cruising license if you don't have a permanent approved mooring - or declare you are a CC..

What do you mean "approved"? They can choose not to be satisfied the mooring exists, but would need reasonable grounds to do so. Otherwise, the requirement is for a mooring (or other place etc...) not an 'approved' mooring. In other words, there is no such thing as an unapproved mooring.

No they can't. What the 1995 Act actually says (for craft with a home mooring) is:

"the Board may refuse a relevant consent in respect of any vessel unless ... the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere"

So an end-of-garden mooring on a river which does not itself need CRT consent is automatically a mooring where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left.

You don't need a mooring to get a licence if you declare you are going to continually cruise. If you want to moor it in a permanent place on CRT water, you need a mooring permit in addition. CRT charge you half their normal rate for a nonCRT mooring - the EOG rate. On some rivers, you have rights over the wet stuff itself and you don't need a permit.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

f

What do you mean "approved"? They can choose not to be satisfied the mooring exists, but would need reasonable grounds to do so. Otherwise, the requirement is for a mooring (or other place etc...) not an 'approved' mooring. In other words, there is no such thing as an unapproved mooring.

In the loosest sense an 'approved' mooring by my understanding, is based on the description when applying for a license as being accepted by CRT. - which by default has become 'approved' by CRT.

Which I suppose is to 'the satisfaction of the Board' (from David Mack #28)

An application for a current canalside mooring has to be substantiated (by independent evidence from the land owner if necessary) when applying for a mooring license.

I don't know about the finer points of river mooring licenses.