Water Pump Issues.

Greylady2

Featured Posts

Don't worry, you have not done any harm by pressurising the expansion tank, The expansion tank, plumbing and calorifier are built to withstand the pressure quoted on the expansion tank, The pump is too but won't pump as high.

Thanks mross for putting my mind at ease.

Much appreciated.

Now i am genuinely worried i have put 38 psi in my pressure vessel when the water pump is rated 25psi.

I best turn the water off i cant afford a leak.

:-((((

:) If I thought there was a problem I would have told you and told you what to do. There is not problem the system will be happy with more presssure than 38psi. :)

smile.png If I thought there was a problem I would have told you and told you what to do. There is not problem the system will be happy with more presssure than 38psi. smile.png

I am not so sure how well it will act as an expansion vessel as the pressure will have to rise by over 12 PSI before any water enters it.

I am not so sure how well it will act as an expansion vessel as the pressure will have to rise by over 12 PSI before any water enters it.

The water pump just did its 2 second burp again.

Maybe i can live with the water pump burp as long as nothing is leaking i can put up with it, its no louder than my dog farting when the bedroom door is shut :-/

Edited by Greylady2

So what? it is the setting recommended to protect the calorifier. You trying to give the OP nightmares?

Not at all, I just don't think it will do what its intended to do. I don't know what pressure it should be set at but I think its the pump cut out pressure. If its there you might just as well get the best out of it.

Not at all, I just don't think it will do what its intended to do. I don't know what pressure it should be set at but I think its the pump cut out pressure. If its there you might just as well get the best out of it.

It states 35 to 50 psi on some website if i remember that right. About 3.3 bar at 50psi.

I know nuffin ere am just in the dark with a white flag.

Appreciate everything and maybe this thread will help others with stuff in the future.

-----------------------------------

What pressure should it is set to?

Our tanks come pre pressurised to go with the calorifier. If you need to change this then it should be set to a pressure above your pump pressure but below the pressure release valve cut out pressure. This is very important or the expansion tank wont work properly.

I can sleep now, but ????? How much

Edited by Greylady2

:) I am sure it will be OK and act very well. The pressure release on those calorifiers is I think of the order of 4 Bar. I am sure the pressure in the cylinder will be easily capable of exceeding the pressure of the expansion vessel. I would hazard a guess the pressure in the cylinder at 65C with say 50% heated will be above 2 Bar, probably nearer 3 Bar. Of course it will not get to that with the expansion vessel connected. The pressure set is the pressure Surcal set it to for their calorifiers.

The water pump just did its 2 second burp again.

Maybe i can live with the water pump burp as long as nothing is leaking i can put up with it, its no louder than my dog farting when the bedroom door is shut :-/

Serious question has the pump ever do this before since you have had the boat?

How long have you had the boat?

ETA leave the pressure as is, it will be OK

Edited by Geo

Surely what it's intended to do is to allow expansion for the hot water in order to avoid operating the PRV. Hence the pressure should be above the pump cut-out pressure but below the PRV setting and hence its positioning in the system.

What it is not intended to do is to be an accumulator.

As has been suggested several times by others the night-time burp and the pulsing at the taps could be addressed by an accumulator if necessary.

As the Parmax pump has a bypass which should obviate the requirement for an accumulator I'm wondering (especially if this didn't happen last winter) if the pump has developed a fault.

As the Parmax pump has a bypass which should obviate the requirement for an accumulator I'm wondering (especially if this didn't happen last winter) if the pump has developed a fault.

Been reading up on the Parmaxs and not all of them mention a bypass, so do some have and some not, do not know.

I will be interested in Greylady's answer to my earlier questions.

Serious question has the pump ever do this before since you have had the boat?

How long have you had the boat?

ETA leave the pressure as is, it will be OK

Had the boat 7 month now and it never did it in the summer its a newish boat 400hrs ish, what i did notice a 5 litre pressure vessel is maxed out on a 55 litre calorifier tank according to a link on ere. Edited by Greylady2

Surely what it's intended to do is to allow expansion for the hot water in order to avoid operating the PRV. Hence the pressure should be above the pump cut-out pressure but below the PRV setting and hence its positioning in the system.

What it is not intended to do is to be an accumulator.

As has been suggested several times by others the night-time burp and the pulsing at the taps could be addressed by an accumulator if necessary.

How do i clean the metal gauze filter, can i just turn off the pump and open all taps and unscrew the plastic cap on top ?

Dont get me wrong the pumps doing its job but the burping at night gave me more concern of a leak than annoying me by noise.

Cheers Wotever

Did she have the boat last winter?

Noo lol

Edited by Greylady2

Had the boat 7 month now and it never did it in the summer its a newish boat 400hrs ish, what i did notice a 5 litre pressure vessel is maxed out on a 55 litre calorifier tank according to a link on ere.

OK Greylady so you have not been as cold as it is now before. So it is a couple of years old.

I am surprised that there is no accumulator, but there might not be one depends on who built it and lots of things. Now somewhere on the boat is a handbook, now some are very detailed others just the bare minimum. If you have a look in it there might be a drawing that shows the plumbing layout, if there is it will show if an accumulator was fitted and even maybe where it is hidden could you have a look tomorrow?

Don't worry about the expansion vessel it will do its job perfectly. :)

Edited by Geo

OK Greylady so you have not been as cold as it is now before. So it is a couple of years old.

I am surprised that there is no accumulator, but there might not be one depends on who built it and lots of things. Now somewhere on the boat is a handbook, now some are very detailed others just the bare minimum. If you have a look in it there might be a drawing that shows the plumbing layout, if there is it will show if an accumulator was fitted and even maybe where it is hidden could you have a look tomorrow?

Don't worry about the expansion vessel it will do its job perfectly. :)

Yer i have muchio build info, i have pritty much stripped out and looked everywhere even under every bilge panel yo know where everything is.

I really dont have an accumilator anywhere.

Cheers poor u another. Lol

Yer i have muchio build info, i have pritty much stripped out and looked everywhere even under every bilge panel yo know where everything is.

I really dont have an accumilator anywhere.

Cheers poor u another. Lol

lol Me poor

Well in that case I would suggest that last possibility is to strip the pump and make sure it is clean and all its channels are clean and open and the valves and diaphragms are all OK. If they are it is a live with it job. :)

BTW do you have any contact details fro the previous owner? If so you could ask them if it did the burples when they had her. :)

If there is no accumulator - and a parmax 2.9 does not require one - which is probable and the expansion vessel, is set a bit above the pump cut-off pressure as you have done then as the hot water cools it will contract and from time to time the pump will briefly run to re pressurise the system. Unless you think there is a problem I don't see the need to strip down the pump or clean out the filters etc.

All I can suggest is that if you don't like the little pump run at night as already suggested either turn the pump off or get an accumulator.

I think people are causing you to worry about a problem you do not have.

• Greenie 1

How do i clean the metal gauze filter, can i just turn off the pump and open all taps and unscrew the plastic cap on top ?

Dont get me wrong the pumps doing its job but the burping at night gave me more concern of a leak than annoying me by noise.

Cheers Wotever

Noo lol

No... it'll get terribly wet if you do that ;)

Somewhere between the water tank and the filter will be a stopcock. It'll probably be close to the tank (it doesn't appear to be in that cupboard). So you'll need to turn off your pump then shut down the stopcock. Then, with a towel or two below the filter (or a bowl if you can fit one) you can unscrew it as you suggested. Some water will probably flow out (hence the towel) but there shouldn't be much. But only clean it if you can see debris inside otherwise don't bother.

As has already been suggested the very simplest way to avoid the night time burp and also maximise the life of the pump would be to turn it off when you turn in at night.

Have fun :)

Tony

I think people are causing you to worry about a problem you do not have.

Agreed. I don't believe there's anything whatsoever wrong with the system. Edited by WotEver

lol Me poor

Well in that case I would suggest that last possibility is to strip the pump and make sure it is clean and all its channels are clean and open and the valves and diaphragms are all OK. If they are it is a live with it job. :)

BTW do you have any contact details fro the previous owner? If so you could ask them if it did the burples when they had her. :)

Haha that poor thing was i typo error 404.

Yer the last owners were lovely but i think we need to move on now, i cant find any leaks i dont know too much on stuff yet but my mind is telling me a 5 litre pressure vessel is working hard on a 55 litre calorifier.

Maybe my water pump is too small for a hearly 60ft boat i dont know.

No... it'll get terribly wet if you do that ;)

Somewhere between the water tank and the filter will be a stopcock. It'll probably be close to the tank (it doesn't appear to be in that cupboard). So you'll need to turn off your pump then shut down the stopcock. Then, with a towel or two below the filter (or a bowl if you can fit one) you can unscrew it as you suggested. Some water will probably flow out (hence the towel) but there shouldn't be much. But only clean it if you can see debris inside otherwise don't bother.

As has already been suggested the very simplest way to avoid the night time burp and also maximise the life of the pump would be to turn it off when you turn in at night.

Have fun :)

Tony

Agreed. I don't believe there's anything whatsoever wrong with the system.

Hia Tony i thought bizzard was joking but then i thought the eberspacher needed the water pump on (bloody no nuffings like me).

Yer i know where the stop taps are phew thanks, i did realise that before you posted.

A good job really.

How much do ya get for ;

Wet bedding

Soggy chairs

An oven full of water

Ha

I better go to bed fanks all, sleep well.