Monitoring 240V AC Current Usage

Featured Posts

Because a plugin monitor could be used on individual items or to measure the total consumption, which wouldn't be so easy if it were hard wired. How big is your inverter? What white goods do you have? Is fridge 12V or 230V?

I'd quite like an ammeter on my boat, near the steering position, just to make sure the alternator is charging. But I'll probably fit a battery monitor that will give me amps plus more info on the batteries.

Edited by mross

Because a plugin monitor could be used on individual items or to measure the total consumption, which wouldn't be so easy if it were hard wired. How big is your inverter? What white goods do you have? Is fridge 12V or 230V?

I'd quite like an ammeter on my boat, near the steering position, just to make sure the alternator is charging. But I'll probably fit a battery monitor that will give me amps plus more info on the batteries.

But he has bought the ammeter now !

Um. I don't see where this is going?

I'm not interested in total consumption, just 240V amps.

I don't want a plug-in device.

It is not an appropriate moment for me to describe my inventory.

Not really related to my wish to know instantaneous 240V amps, more to do with general charging and batteries which is not my concern here.

Edited by system 4-50

I would genuinely be interested in understanding why you are so interested in amps?

I want to stick a list on the wall that says it is possible to use the following combinations of devices without risking running the inverter too close to its 240V output limit, for the guidance of some of my family. I don't like running devices (the inverter) at its limit.

Edited by system 4-50

I want to stick a list on the wall that says it is possible to use the following combinations of devices without risking running the inverter too close to its 240V output limit, for the guidance of some of my family. I don't like running devices (the inverter) at its limit.

I see your idea entirely, but your inverter will also be pleased to tell them the same thing in quite a forceful way of its own accord if they can't follow simple instructions like "only use ONE of these at a time". The KISS principle has a lot going for it! :D