Engine Air filter intake restricted ....... problem or not?

j04n

Featured Posts

Hi All, its me again!

Whilst changing my gearbox recently ....... or should I say helping a friend ....... ok, I was making the tea! ...... I noticed that the air filter intake seemed to be in a ridiculous place, partially masked by a bracket which had been fitted, believe it or not to support the air filter and other items, gearbox and engine oil extraction pumps. I'm tempted to cut the bracket away in order to avoid the restriction and fit a short pipe to the intake leading to an area of cooler and cleaner air.

Do you think this would be wise or do you think I am being a little anal and should just leave it vacuuming all the crap up that settles on the bracket. Not to mention the hot air it is breathing from all the metal in such close proximity?

Thanks in anticipation.

This thread is no good without pictures......... (wot he wrote above while I typed)

On the face of it - it seems daft to cut the bracket if it's supporting other items (hence the need for a picture.

On the topic of the lack of fresh air - well that probably doesn't make much difference, but-

FWIW, I was more bothered with silencing the air intake, so made up a length of 4" corrugated land drain. wrapped it internally with some foam (leaving an airway). That made the engine a bit quieter AND got some fresh(er) air from the rear of the engine.

Two 'problems' solved...

Unless the air intake to the filter is substantially blocked, then the air will still find its way in.

I installed two large standby generators into a room once, and the air inlet trunking tovthe generator room was restricted because it had to go over a corridor, restricting depth, and between columns, restricting width.

The net result was that opening the generator room door when the generators were running was, shall we say dificult, although the door now became self closing!

Extensive tests at full load, showed the generators capable of delivering full power for extended periods whilst remaining cool so in reality there was no problem.

Any chance of s picture?

Thought I had one but unfortunately not! I'll see what I can do.

This thread is no good without pictures......... (wot he wrote above while I typed)

On the face of it - it seems daft to cut the bracket if it's supporting other items (hence the need for a picture.

On the topic of the lack of fresh air - well that probably doesn't make much difference, but-

FWIW, I was more bothered with silencing the air intake, so made up a length of 4" corrugated land drain. wrapped it internally with some foam (leaving an airway). That made the engine a bit quieter AND got some fresh(er) air from the rear of the engine.

Two 'problems' solved...

I had no intentions of compromising the brackets other function. 4"!? That's something else I surprised at as the inlet is very small. From memory little more than 1". If you are thinking cool air is not a concern maybe I can just rotate the whole unit. I don't have any problems with air intake noise. Do you have a supercharger on yours? wink.png

Unless the air intake to the filter is substantially blocked, then the air will still find its way in.

I installed two large standby generators into a room once, and the air inlet trunking tovthe generator room was restricted because it had to go over a corridor, restricting depth, and between columns, restricting width.

The net result was that opening the generator room door when the generators were running was, shall we say dificult, although the door now became self closing!

Extensive tests at full load, showed the generators capable of delivering full power for extended periods whilst remaining cool so in reality there was no problem.

wow! guess I have nothing to worry about! biggrin.png

The engine NEED cool air to make full power, but will not make more power then the propeller can absorb :)

on the other hand, the engine suck air in so new cold air can come in to the engine room/hole. should take the air from lower part of the room compartment.

http://oa.upm.es/14340/2/Documentacion/7_C_Maquinas/61056648-Caterpillar-Marine-Application-Installation-Guide.pdf

Sizing of Combined Combustion and Ventilation Air Ducts — Rule of Thumb Air Must Be Allowed to Enter the Engine Room Freely. A useful rule of thumb is: • Use 4-6 sq cm of duct cross-section area per engine kW and no more than three (3) right angle bends. A larger area allows more air flow into the engine room.

• Use 0.5-0.75 sq in. of duct cross-section area per engine horsepower and no more than three (3) right angle bends. A larger area allows more air flow into the engine room.

The engine NEED cool air to make full power, but will not make more power then the propeller can absorb smile.png

on the other hand, the engine suck air in so new cold air can come in to the engine room/hole. should take the air from lower part of the room compartment.

http://oa.upm.es/14340/2/Documentacion/7_C_Maquinas/61056648-Caterpillar-Marine-Application-Installation-Guide.pdf

Sizing of Combined Combustion and Ventilation Air Ducts — Rule of Thumb Air Must Be Allowed to Enter the Engine Room Freely. A useful rule of thumb is: • Use 4-6 sq cm of duct cross-section area per engine kW and no more than three (3) right angle bends. A larger area allows more air flow into the engine room.

• Use 0.5-0.75 sq in. of duct cross-section area per engine horsepower and no more than three (3) right angle bends. A larger area allows more air flow into the engine room.

Thanks for that Dalslandia ......... you can go off people you know! judge.gifwink.png