First Narrowboat holiday

Inverted

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

In a couple of weeks myself and the better half are having a short holiday on the L&L. We pick up the boat on Monday afternoon and will be returning it the next Friday morning We will be starting from Burnley and Heading towards Skipton, we would like if possible to visit Skipton but given the time of year and the number of locks as well as the fact that we are both novices makes me think that this may be a bit too ambitious. We will probably turn back once we reach Gargrave.

Can anyone recommend some good watering holes along the way that do good food and real ale?

Thanks

Burnley to Skipton is about one long day for an experienced crew but at this time of year it would have to be two, owing to the hours of daylight. So I agree Skipton is too ambitious, and given your short time span even Gargrave might be a bit of a stretch. However, once you have done Barrowford locks you'll have a good idea of your rate of progress so see how you get on by the end of Monday and take it from there. Progress on the L/L depends quite a bit on whether you have another boat sharing the locks, and if you get any help from the lockies, you don't have to do a lot of slowing down for moored boats like on some of the midlands/southern canals.

The Cross Keys is pretty much compulsory on this trip... All the pubs in Gargrave are pretty good too, though it's a few years since we were up that way.

We used to moor at Greenberfield and when we left about five years ago the canal was getting very quiet indeed, you won't have any trouble finding good mooring spots.

• Greenie 1

If you like Indian food and are in Gargrave overnight, I'd strongly recommend eating at the Bollywood Cottage -- far better than you'd expect in a small village (but ring to reserve a table, it's often full!). Then walk up to the Masons Arms for a beer afterwards, if you've got room for any ;-)

You could also do a lot worse than the Anchor Inn at Salterforth for decent pub grub and beer if that fits with your plans, though the Cross Keys is probably better.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

If you like Indian food and are in Gargrave overnight, I'd strongly recommend eating at the Bollywood Cottage -- far better than you'd expect in a small village (but ring to reserve a table, it's often full!). Then walk up to the Masons Arms for a beer afterwards, if you've got room for any ;-)

You could also do a lot worse than the Anchor Inn at Salterforth for decent pub grub and beer if that fits with your plans, though the Cross Keys is probably better.

Eating at the Mason's Arms is also very good and like the Bollywood, best to phone ahead and book a table.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask who you booked with? I'm thinking of booking first attempt on a narrow boat later this month, so any advice, what to avoid/look for would be good.

Cheers

Shire Cruisers, have used them several times and can recommend them.

• Greenie 1