Sofa Bed to Stove Distance?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

I have a 10ft lounge with a Boatman stove at one end, the front of which is 17in from the front of the lounge.

I want to put a 6ft3in sofa on the same side as the stove, (so I can use it as a single bed), and am worried that the end near the stove will get too hot, or worse.

With the above layout, there would be 2ft 4in between stove and sofa end.... would this be enough, or am I asking for trouble, (or breaching a regulation/BSS?

I've currently got a 4ft 6in wide 2 seater sofa bed that opens up across the full width of the boat, but it's so inconvenient, we just dont use it.

Logistically, with the walkway and wiring, and ducting, and stuff, it wouldnt work to have the sofa on the opposite side of the boat to the stove.

Any ideas welcomed.

Just something to think about, we have a 4'4" two,seated sofa bed widthways across the boat, gives a seating arrangement that is nearer the norm for a house. We look ahead to the TV rather than sit at an angle as seems to be the norm. Only snag for you is that at our saloon is 4m long.

Can't help with the distance thing from the fire.

Phil

http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pd

Suggests 600mm so 2ft 4in should be fine unless sleepers push bedclothes over the end of the sofa when sleeping on it. I would have a folding fire guard ready to put in place at night.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Not my concern. When its hot (like when the stove is lit) bedding may well be kicked off over the end of the bed so could end up much closer to the stove thna the end of the sofa. I suppose the safest way, providing the thing has arms, is to put the pillows at the stove end.

I have a 6ft sofa bed of which the end is 2ft from the stove at the closest point. I've had the fire going nicely a couple of times and the fabric never gets really hot, just warm to touch. As has been said above, probably safest to have the pillows at the stove end, although if like me you need 2 there's still a possibility one could end up on the floor near the stove after a particularly bad dream that your boat is on fire!

I have a 10ft lounge with a Boatman stove at one end, the front of which is 17in from the front of the lounge.

I want to put a 6ft3in sofa on the same side as the stove, (so I can use it as a single bed), and am worried that the end near the stove will get too hot, or worse.

With the above layout, there would be 2ft 4in between stove and sofa end.... would this be enough, or am I asking for trouble, (or breaching a regulation/BSS?

I've currently got a 4ft 6in wide 2 seater sofa bed that opens up across the full width of the boat, but it's so inconvenient, we just dont use it.

Logistically, with the walkway and wiring, and ducting, and stuff, it wouldnt work to have the sofa on the opposite side of the boat to the stove.

Any ideas welcomed.

From memory it is no closer than 300mm, that is the closest that logs should be stored to a stove. I would also suggest that that to use it for sleeping the stove needs to be guarded so that anything that comes off the sofabed cannot get withing 300mm of the stove. Personally I would not recommend it for sleeping, people toss pillows etc off themselves and the direction they go when someone is sleeping is anywhere.