230VAC Source Switching

rupertbear

Featured Posts

Well that's dumb. Why isn't it NC?

A couple of reasons I can think of. If it were NC and there was a problem with the contactor coil circuit whilst the inverter was on you'd have a clash between the inverter supply and the shore supply. Plus I suppose "off means off" and if someone turned the Combi Off and then got a shock from the circuit they'd want to sue MV.

• 1 month later...

Just about to start the job;

I have drawn out the following diagram for wiring up the switch.

I have switched both live and neutral as seems sensible but what is bothering me is that the earth is attached to all the negative lines therefore doesn't switching them become superfluos? as they are all still lnked via the earth, I have obviously missed the point somewhere, help please!

post-531-0-60524700-1479371764_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phoenix_V

Added to which I would rather not leave a powerful battery charger connected unattended for long periods in case a fault condition arises with the batteries.

The Victron is a clever and expensive bit of kit designed to keep your expensive batteries in the best possible condition. Whilst your solar is producing, it'll not use much power. When your solar isn't producing, it will only use what is essential to preserve your expensive batteries which, if they're already in a good state of charge, will be very little. Remember, it can only put into your batteries what your batteries will take, so nothing it does is really a waste of electricity and internal losses are relatively minor. Leaving my Mastervolt Combi on to do this costs pennies per week.

Some time when you leave your boat with fully charged batteries, the Victron on 'charge' and otherwise electrically dead, take a meter reading when you leave and again when you come back to work out exactly what it costs per day before dismissing it. I think that, once you've done that, you might think yourself lucky to have such a quality bit of kit fitted in your boat and leave it to do what it's designed to do.