My Whispergen and Multiplus wont get together. Any ideas?

Jim Pansy

Featured Posts

I’m on a liveaboard in the reading region with Whisper Genverter W-GV4 that is supposed to be feeding into a Victron multiplus 12 3000 120. But it isn’t. The multiplus is rejecting the feed. It accepts the feed from the main engine alternator.

I stopped using the generator in the spring and now need it for the winter. The multiplus used to accept the GV4.

Also, and I don’t know it this is related, the GV4 is supposed to idle at 2500 RPM to synchronise with the multiplus, but half the time when it starts it steadies itself at 2230 RPM which is too slow to give a stable output. Strange.

Any ideas? Anyone?

I don't know, but scratching your beard won't help much unsure.png

it would appear from what you say that the generator sometimes idles at 2500rpm, sometimes not.

so problem is not associated with the low idle speed (unless the GV4 accepts the input when the idle is at 2500rpm, which appears not to be the case).

Edited by Murflynn

If this were mine I would see if I could borrow an oscilloscope and put it on the output when a different load is applied and the repeat with the combi-unit.

That way you could check the actual wave form being delivered. I wonder if something is failing in the inverter section of the generator that is messing up the waveform.

No idea why it should suddenly develop a slow idle once the obvious has been checked (Post 2) but if its done electronically then an electronic fault may cause it.

I await Nick's input.

If the voltage is too low from the genny the Victron won't connect to it. Check the output voltage of the genny. The Victron has a "weak AC" setting that may help.

This FAQ from Victron may help - https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/FAQ-What-to-do-when-a-MultiPlus-does-not-accept-generator-power-EN.pdf

Does the genny work correctly when it's under load? I.e. If you a immersion heater from it does the Victron connect then?

Victron does not like either voltage input and/or waveform.

Whispergen not running at correct speed will not give correct voltage and/or sine wave.

Suggest servicing the whispergen especially fuel supply line.

You have not knocked a tap, in the fuel supply so that it is partially OFF, have you?.

Did this myself blush.png generator ran but when load applied it ran 'lumpy' (technical term) and would not maintain correct speed.