JP3M Rocker cover removal - Oiling top end.

TugCaggy

Featured Posts

I have recently become the owner of a 1940s narrowboat tug and as such become the custodian of the Lister JP3MGR installed in it. I'm a complete newbie with this type of vintage engine, so it is a bit of a learning curve. I'm keen to learn and care for the engine correctly. I've all ready learnt a lot from reading the information posted on this forum.

My first question relates to the filling of the top end with oil. The manual states that I should fill the tops of the push rods with oil and lubricate the valves every week. I presume I have to remove the rocker covers to do this? If so how do I do this? My engine doesn't have the slide across flap that exposes a filling hole on top of the cover. Each cover only has a central decompression lever. Each pot also has a small brass nipple on the side.

Therefore- do I unscrew the decompression lever to release the rocker cover to fill with engine oil (the engine is currently using Morris Golden Film SAE30) to lubricate the pushrods? Do I put engine oil into the little brass nipples to lubricate the values?

Many thanks in advance for any advice - it will be very much appreciated.

Best wishes

Wayne

(Tug Caggy)

Thx for your reply Giant.

I'm getting a little confused as to what I should be doing with the little brass nipple on the side of each cylinder head. I'm guessing this is for lubricant to the valves, but should I be filling with engine oil or grease every week?

Many thx

Wayne

Thx for your reply Giant.

I'm getting a little confused as to what I should be doing with the little brass nipple on the side of each cylinder head. I'm guessing this is for lubricant to the valves, but should I be filling with engine oil or grease every week?

Many thx

Wayne

Grease. That's for greasing the rockers

Richard

Grease. That's for greasing the rockers

Richard

Many thanks Richard, that makes sense as I couldn't find the grease cup for the rockers as indicated in the manual I have.

Sorry for being a newbie and asking so many questions, but I'm learning fast.

So if I take the cylinder head covers off and add engine oil to the top of the push rods and grease the rockers via the nipple, is there anything else I need to do to manually oil the top end?

Many thx in advance. Wayne

You can fill the bottom of the head on the valve side with oil up to the level of the base of the push rods, the brass items are Stauffer cups rather than a conventional grease nipple - you need to unscrew the outer case and manually fill it with grease.

I've attached a couple of pictures of other things needing regular maintenance, sorry if you already know, one shows the dipstick on the rear of the fuel injector pump which will need topping up with engine oil if low. The other being the water pump, if you have this type there are two larger grease cups as above that need regular use and refilling.

Stuart

post-23974-0-02101500-1474612721_thumb.jpg

post-23974-0-09226800-1474612806_thumb.jpg

post-23974-0-90944300-1474613137_thumb.jpg

The diesel pump on our JP3M has what I believe is a common issue in that diesel gradually contaminates the oil in the pump sump until you're just lube-ing it with diesel. So reasonably often (once a month-ish) I remove the sump contents - I use a little hand pump from a soap dispenser to suck it out and squirt it into a container. Then refill sump with oil using a little oil can - it's a small sump so don't overfill.

I get the injectors cleaned once a year - and always find it a right PITA to refit the injector pipes without them leaking!

The diesel pump on our JP3M has what I believe is a common issue in that diesel gradually contaminates the oil in the pump sump until you're just lube-ing it with diesel.

That really isn't a good sign. One possibility is diesel coming down inside the pump element - only the engine would be running badly. The other is that the elements are moving inside the pump body and diesel is leaking down the outside. That could mean the body is scrap

Richard

Hi tugcaggy. Just saying hello cause I presume your name is a giveaway for the boat you've just bought and just wanted to say that our boat, an old BCN converted joey lived in the same yard where your boat came from for over 20 yrs. Sorry a bit off topic.

Hi tugcaggy. Just saying hello cause I presume your name is a giveaway for the boat you've just bought and just wanted to say that our boat, an old BCN converted joey lived in the same yard where your boat came from for over 20 yrs. Sorry a bit off topic.

Hi OldBullDog

Yes we have Caggy, pleased to meet your acquaintance (digitally of course). Did you speak to my wife at Parkhead? Cheers Wayne :)

Many thanks to all who have replied to my questions. Much appreciated and helpful. I now feel confident that I'm lubbing my top end correctly!

Special thx to Richard for popping over to Caggy at the weekend to have a look at the engine.

Cheers

Wayne :)

Edited by TugCaggy

That really isn't a good sign. One possibility is diesel coming down inside the pump element - only the engine would be running badly. The other is that the elements are moving inside the pump body and diesel is leaking down the outside. That could mean the body is scrap

Richard

Thanks for cheering me up Richard!

The engine still runs fine so for the moment I think I will leave well alone.

Thanks for cheering me up Richard!

The engine still runs fine so for the moment I think I will leave well alone.

It's a tricky decision. The engine probably runs fine, the body may already be beyond repair so you can't make it worse. Keep putting oil into the bottom to preserve the camshaft and bearings

Richard

It's a tricky decision. The engine probably runs fine, the body may already be beyond repair so you can't make it worse. Keep putting oil into the bottom to preserve the camshaft and bearings

Richard

That's what I'm doing - syringing out and refilling with oil.