Ballast

Snufkin

Featured Posts

Hello - if ballast is put at the front of the boat in order to make the boat more level in the water, is the effect on the stern to push the stern further into the water, (but to lesser extent than the effect on the bow), or does it have a see-saw effect on the boat, so that as the bow goes down the stern will come up? Thank you

Seesaw effect. If you want to find out where the middle is then untie all the ropes on a calm day and them push the boat out from the bank. Where it pushes out and the boat leaves the bank equally both stern and bow is where your centre is. It's also where your turning point is when not moving.

Edited by Robbo

Depends where you put it. If your boat was a rectangular pontoon, then putting ballast in the front third of the length will lift the stern up, putting it in the miďle third will take both ends down, and putting it exactly at the 1/3 point will result in no change at the other end.

More complex for a boat with pointy ends, but the same principle applies.

Seesaw effect. If you want to find out where the middle is then untie all the ropes on a calm day and them push the boat out from the bank. Where it pushes out and the boat leaves the bank equally both stern and bow is where your centre is. It's also where your turning point is when not moving.

I'm not sure I buy that. The effect of water resistance will intervene and affect the result, in my opinion.

I'm not sure I buy that. The effect of water resistance will intervene and affect the result, in my opinion.

You are right Mike.

It's sort of like a seesaw but not quite.

If we use the children's play park analogy I think it's more like one of these horses in the picture attached.

post-25077-0-64523600-1474488350_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tiggs