Vetus Filters

dor

Featured Posts

If you are staggered by the price of Vetus filters, the following might be of interest:

Baldwins filters, as supplied by Inline Filters, Vetus/Inline filters: (inc. VAT)

STM4050 (the little one in the fuel pump) £12.00 / £3.89 Baldwins code PF7824

STM3690 (engine mounted fuel filter) £19.63 / £9.21 BF1257

STM0051 (oil filter) £12.00 / £2.92 BF1402

Note that the Balwins filter/water separator that is mounted on the engine has an integral seal so does not need the thick rubber washer that comes with the Vetus one.

No doubt their rates are similar for Beta etc. Also standard canister fuel filter (C1191 / HDF296) is £1.98, BF825

There is shipping to add, £6.90 next day, so worth ordering a few at a time.

www.inlinefilters.co.uk

If you are staggered by the price of Vetus filters, the following might be of interest:

Baldwins filters, as supplied by Inline Filters, Vetus/Inline filters: (inc. VAT)

Note that the Balwins filter/water separator that is mounted on the engine has an integral seal so does not need the thick rubber washer that comes with the Vetus one.

No doubt their rates are similar for Beta etc. Also standard canister fuel filter (C1191 / HDF296) is £1.98, BF825

www.inlinefilters.co.uk

So, you spend 10k on an engine then skimp on the filters? (only kidding wink.png )

I have used Baldwin filters for some time on our Vetus 415, following advice from others on here. Also Thonrycroft (same base engine Misu S4L) always used Baldwin filters.

I often use Blueprint ADH22114 for the engine oil filter too. (Fits many Honda cars including most accords. Also some Mitsu Shogun and some Mazda 626)

I tend to use http://www.filtermania.co.uk/, but I know Inlinefilters are good too.

I confess to once thinking that it was "best" to use Vetus filters, but it dawned on me that it was very unlikely that Vetus made their own filters, and of course it is a Mitsubishi lump, so using the OEM argument it would be "best" to use Mitsu oil filters?

Edited by Guest

www.inlinefilters.co.uk

I too have used Baldwin filters from Inline Filters for several years. However once they sent me an equivalent for the engine-mounted fuel filter when they had run out of Baldwins, and it had a plastic drain plug, which would fail a BSS. They did send a replacement ASAP.

But what's this little filter in the fuel pump? I have the smallest 2 cylinder Vetus and I've never heard of it. Have I got one?

I too have used Baldwin filters from Inline Filters for several years. However once they sent me an equivalent for the engine-mounted fuel filter when they had run out of Baldwins, and it had a plastic drain plug, which would fail a BSS. They did send a replacement ASAP.

But what's this little filter in the fuel pump? I have the smallest 2 cylinder Vetus and I've never heard of it. Have I got one?

A good chance. It is on the end of the electric fuel pump aside the engine. I think it is a 17mm spanner that relaeses the bayonet cap on the end, and inside lurks a little fuel filter. An RCR guy told me it is responsible for may Vetus breakdowns. See white arrow on pic (this is the bigger engine.)

My Vetus when brand new had a plastic drain tap on the engine fuel filter! That too would be a fail.

post-910-0-19291400-1472489057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

That little filter had to be changed every 6 months on WotEver until I fitted an agglomerator upstream of it (with a metal bowl and drain screw).

I know the one in ours is sometimes quite mucky at service time, even with two filters before it.

I always kept a spare. Before I started the 6 month changing regime I'd be tootling down the cut when the engine would slow right down. I'd pull into the bank, swap the filter and be back on our way in 5 minutes. Only trouble was I'd smell of diesel the rest of the day.

I always kept a spare. Before I started the 6 month changing regime I'd be tootling down the cut when the engine would slow right down. I'd pull into the bank, swap the filter and be back on our way in 5 minutes. Only trouble was I'd smell of diesel the rest of the day.

Nowt worse! Took me a couple of days to get rid of the stink after a recent diesel leak.

www.inlinefilters.co.uk

Yes, but do they do them in that lovely yellow to match my engine? I couldn't possibly fit a red filter, so non-U.

A good chance. It is on the end of the electric fuel pump aside the engine. I think it is a 17mm spanner that relaeses the bayonet cap on the end, and inside lurks a little fuel filter. An RCR guy told me it is responsible for may Vetus breakdowns. See white arrow on pic (this is the bigger engine.)

My Vetus when brand new had a plastic drain tap on the engine fuel filter! That too would be a fail.

Just checked the manual in case I've been missing something for the past 11 years! Haven't got the little filter, thank goodness, as it would be almost impossible to get at in the position described.

Just checked the manual in case I've been missing something for the past 11 years! Haven't got the little filter, thank goodness, as it would be almost impossible to get at in the position described.

I'm really surprised. Do you not have the little electric fuel pump?

I'm really surprised. Do you not have the little electric fuel pump?

It wouldn't surprise me if the engine was fitted without this filter, with another filter fitted elsewhere before the pump, especially if difficult to get to.

It wouldn't surprise me if the engine was fitted without this filter, with another filter fitted elsewhere before the pump, especially if difficult to get to.

It would have to have a different pump too if that were the case because the filter is part of the original pump.

Tony

It would have to have a different pump too if that were the case because the filter is part of the original pump.

Tony

But wouldn't the pump work without the filter? Provided the rubber sealing ring stayed in place.

But wouldn't the pump work without the filter? Provided the rubber sealing ring stayed in place.

Yes of course, but OP stated that he'd looked in the manual and he definitely didn't have that filter. Unless the manual shows a different pump how would he know? Just because the manual doesn't mention the filter doesn't mean it's not there. My manual for a 3.10 didn't mention it at all.