Rochdale or Huddersfield canal.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Now in Slaithwaite waiting to go up to Marsden. It's been a lovely trip and the locks so far have been kind and gentle to us. The last time we came this way was 2000 and it was quite a bit harder then. The water levels are good. Fuel in Huddersfield at Aspley is 66p. Services with showers are excellent there. Milnsbridge has good moorings and all the usual shops.

Slaithwaite is a delight with a vibrant feel to it. Try the home made bakery cafe by the guillotine lock. Great cakes and yummy food.

I'm not put off by potentially unpleasant areas. When we came through Blackburn/Burnley it wasn't exactly the best part of the system.

Ah, that's right, you were asking about moorings there a while back and I recommended the one in Church. No, they're not the nicest stretches, but we didn't find them to be the slog Manchester was - fewer locks, less junk (believe it or not!), no problems with water levels. You're right not to be put off though, of course; the occasional day of less-than-pleasant urban cruising is a small price to pay considering everything canals like the L&L and Rochdale have to offer.

Now in Slaithwaite waiting to go up to Marsden. It's been a lovely trip and the locks so far have been kind and gentle to us. The last time we came this way was 2000 and it was quite a bit harder then. The water levels are good. Fuel in Huddersfield at Aspley is 66p. Services with showers are excellent there. Milnsbridge has good moorings and all the usual shops.

Slaithwaite is a delight with a vibrant feel to it. Try the home made bakery cafe by the guillotine lock. Great cakes and yummy food.

The moorings in Milnsbridge are OK but the pubs are rubbish!

Anyone going over the HNC please be aware that the Slaithwaite guillotine has to be booked - still not fixed since last December!

We had a pint or two of Wainwright at the Four Horseshoes in Milnsbridge. Friendly enough but mind you Huddersfield has just drawn a match with Aston Villa.

The Post Office pub is currently closed.

Yes, you're right about the Slaithwaite guillotine lock. We rang the number the CRT booking office (Red Bull) gave us as we left Slaithwaite, did the couple of locks in the town centre and the man popped down in his van giving us lots of time to reach him.

He then went onto the lock 29 which is often a bit leaky and let water into the pound for us. Good man!

Going up to Marsden a decent mooring with great views of the hills is just after lock 31. Have a wander to view the reservoirs up by the next lock

We've done the HNC west section, including Standedge, and loved it, although there's a good deal of work involved!

If you are moored at Marsden for a day, there's a fabulous walk over the top on the horsepath. If you then go as far as Greenfield, you can get the train back to Slaithwaite, (so you rush through Stanedge in a few minutes), or even Huddersfield, and walk back to your boat from there.

Thank you.

I'm not the best tunnel boater. I just get disoriented and uncomfortable. I will do any tunnel,but prefer to avoid as long as possible.

(also,can't get the chimney off)

Must admit, I'm not a great tunnel lover though the Standedge is certainly an experience. Did it in our last boat and spent two hours being gassed by the engine room chimney!

The Rochdale was hard work in a deep draughted boat but great fun all the same. I'd do it again but probably leave the HNC as a one off.

Thank you.

I'm not the best tunnel boater. I just get disoriented and uncomfortable. I will do any tunnel,but prefer to avoid as long as possible.

(also,can't get the chimney off)

Must admit, I'm not a great tunnel lover though the Standedge is certainly an experience. Did it in our last boat and spent two hours being gassed by the engine room chimney!

The Rochdale was hard work in a deep draughted boat but great fun all the same. I'd do it again but probably leave the HNC as a one off.

Plus points about Standedge - it's a unique experience; the entrance at Marsden is stunning; the CRT shepherds are first class.

Minus points - it can be a bit fumey, and the boat will take a few knocks

Thanks for that Mr Starman. We met,as you probably realise the other day when we were walking our two terrorists, that seemed to get on with yours. Brian?. I agree with your comments in your blog, you are at a very pretty part of the system.

If possible we may give the HNC a miss. We also have a large top box. If measurements are tight the HNC may. Not be an option.