How to theft-proof solar panels?

MyLady

Featured Posts

Hi,

Last time we left Milady moored to a towpath one of our solar panels got stolen - they're only fastened on by screw knobs to the triangle mounting plates that let us tilt them to and fro. They are safe in a marina now, but we want to go out again...

How do we fasten the remaining two on so they are still there when we leave her out again?

Can we buy some wire strops and if so how do we fasten those to the panels and the boat? Are there some tamper-proof bolts and what are they called?

Any other suggestions welcome!

TIA,

Hi there, how about a stainless steel bar/rod across the panel bolted down, use torx head bolts and fill with epoxy resin/glue to prevent them from being undone. Just a quick suggestion to get my mind going.

Hi there, how about a stainless steel bar/rod across the panel bolted down, use torx head bolts and fill with epoxy resin/glue to prevent them from being undone. Just a quick suggestion to get my mind going.

Thanks for that, but remember these panels tilt towards the sun, so their mid point is about 6" from the deck and one or other edge is twice that. Which edge depends on where the boat is lying that day. and both ends of the bolt (i.e. head and nut) are accessible.

I accept that total theft-proofing is impossible but want to defeat those carrying only a Swiss Army Knife