Reving up then cutting out

Benno 1688

Featured Posts

Hi my bmc 1800 keep reving the normal then Rev up then cutting out. I have changed the fuel filter the cleaned the lift pump gauze. It seems to happen after about two hours running the tempreture is ok and the oil pressure is good. I thought it might be a fuel problem but I'm not sure, if I let it cool down it runs ok for a while. Anyone got any ideas.

Tha air leak has been in my thinking. I have checked, but I will check again. This might sound obvious but what the best way of checking.

A pair of spanners on each joint in the line

Richard

Hi my bmc 1800 keep reving the normal then Rev up then cutting out. I have changed the fuel filter the cleaned the lift pump gauze. It seems to happen after about two hours running the tempreture is ok and the oil pressure is good. I thought it might be a fuel problem but I'm not sure, if I let it cool down it runs ok for a while. Anyone got any ideas.

Can you restart it without bleeding the fuel system? if so I don't think its air getting in but could be fuel starvation. Anything back tho the bottom of the pickup pipe in the fuel tank.

Most of those lift pumps have a domed cap held on by a single centre bolt. The cap is sealed by a soft washer around the bolt and a "rubber" O ring under the cap.

It is too easy to collapse the dome, especially if the seal on the bolt has failed, by over-tightening the bolts. With care it can be re-domed with a ball part of a hammer.

I would use a nylon washer around the bolt.

The O rings tend to expand so if anyone took it out it can be a beast to get it back and make it seal.

I would also be looking at the seals on the fuel filter, especially what seals the filter's centre bolt.

Anything that reduces the fuel pressure inside the injector pump is likely to cause the revving up so it could be either a blockage or an air leak.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Is there any debris / foreign matter in the tank that could be blocking the pick up? As the pump starts drawing fuel it will create a gentle flow that could draw debris to the pick up. Once the engine is off it can float away and it could appear that there's nothing wrong - till the next time.

A colleague of mine had this on a brand new car about 20 years ago. It drove fine for a few hundred miles then would start cutting out. The dealers diagnosed fuel starvation, pulled the pump assembly out of the tank and found a large plastic bung. These were used to protect the tank from debris during assembly and someone had pushed it in instead of removing it. He rang up the appropriate cell manager on the Longbridge line to complain and was heard to utter the words "This bungs a stopper". We never heard the end of the call, the office had collapsed in fits of laughter.

Also how old / worn is the engine and how full is oil level - is it above / near the top of the dip stick?

Edited by Chalky