At the bottom of Wigan Lock Flight

Wiggywormcake

Featured Posts

We are moored at the foot of Wigan lock flight...as we are going to tackle it tomorrow morning! Are we reasonably safe here? We've hardly seen any other boaters since we left Worsley was hoping to moor with others!

Have you seen the others? Lol....if so where will we find them?

Up at the top! Lot of movement today because of the problems with Poolstock Locks holding people up yesterday. Will be space here tomorrow as most will probably move on, we are.

Don't know why people don't moor there either! Should be fine but I wouldn't leave the boat unattended tho.

Have a good trip.

Val

• Greenie 1

You should be fine there. Kids don't break till next week.

We have moored there many times without any problems at all. If you're really worried turn round and moor at dover lock.

Up at the top! Lot of movement today because of the problems with Poolstock Locks holding people up yesterday. Will be space here tomorrow as most will probably move on, we are.

Don't know why people don't moor there either! Should be fine but I wouldn't leave the boat unattended tho.

Have a good trip.

Val

Thanks...that's what we thought...just weren't too sure after some kids knocked on the window before high tailing it off on their bikes lolol..staying put now

You should be fine there. Kids don't break till next week.

We have moored there many times without any problems at all. If you're really worried turn round and moor at dover lock.

Thanks...that's good to know

Our boat was vandalised, robbed and set adrift when we made the mistake of leaving it unattended just round the corner from there - at the very start of the Leigh Branch - a couple of years back. You're probably fine on board for one night, but personally I'd be looking for a spot with some safety in numbers. Are there boats moored the other side of lock 86, for instance?

Have a good trip.

Val

We came up through Poolstock locks and there's very little water in them...him indoors ran aground and a woman opened the sluice to get some flowing.

Our boat was vandalised, robbed and set adrift when we made the mistake of leaving it unattended just round the corner from there - at the very start of the Leigh Branch - a couple of years back. You're probably fine on board for one night, but personally I'd be looking for a spot with some safety in numbers. Are there boats moored the other side of lock 86, for instance?

No we had a walk up and there's no sign of anyone...I think we are here for the night now. Hopefully we should be ok...we've only been boating for less than a week so we naively thought there'd be other people doing the same.

There are volunteers helping on the Wigan flight every Tuesday and that's probably why there are no boats left.

Steve

B*gger our luck! We hoped there may be some tomorrow this is our first boat and first trip so far it's been a baptism of fire lolololol

No we had a walk up and there's no sign of anyone...I think we are here for the night now. Hopefully we should be ok...we've only been boating for less than a week so we naively thought there'd be other people doing the same.

B*gger our luck! We hoped there may be some tomorrow this is our first boat and first trip so far it's been a baptism of fire lolololol

I'm sure you'll be fine overnight. Maybe leave a light on if you're worried and want to make sure the boat looks occupied.

Depending on how far you want to get tomorrow, you could hang on a bit to see if any other boats turn up to share the locks with you. It takes maybe 5-6 hours to do the flight, so with the long days this time of year there's no particular need to make an early start.

I'm sure you'll be fine overnight. Maybe leave a light on if you're worried and want to make sure the boat looks occupied.

Depending on how far you want to get tomorrow, you could hang on a bit to see if any other boats turn up to share the locks with you. It takes maybe 5-6 hours to do the flight, so with the long days this time of year there's no particular need to make an early start.

Thank you...will do!

We've moored there overnight, with no problem.

We would stay on board, and not leave our boat unattended. That's the same in any quieter urban mooring spot.

Ps wouldn't fancy it on a Friday/Saturday night though.

Edited by MHS

I assume you mean by the junction above Henhouse lock? This is not technically at the bottom of the flight as there are two more heading west.

We have moored there a number of times, including at weekends, and there has never been any trouble.

The best place to moor is on the offside below Henhouse outside the CRT office but that of course would require you to do the lock twice and would not be worth it if it's just an overnight stop.

I assume you mean by the junction above Henhouse lock? This is not technically at the bottom of the flight as there are two more heading west.

We have moored there a number of times, including at weekends, and there has never been any trouble.

The best place to moor is on the offside below Henhouse outside the CRT office but that of course would require you to do the lock twice and would not be worth it if it's just an overnight stop.

No we were moored in sight of the first lock lol...we survived though..and managed the locks thanks to the help if Steve (The Pieman)

We've moored there overnight, with no problem.

We would stay on board, and not leave our boat unattended. That's the same in any quieter urban mooring spot.

Ps wouldn't fancy it on a Friday/Saturday night though.

Thanks..we survived...though him indoors had an ear cocked all night...now up at the top of the flight looking forward to an early night and plenty of ZZZZZZZ's !