Milton Keynes Graffiti

billS

Featured Posts

In days gone by , we used to regularity leave our boat during the week while we moved around the country at the weekends. Not avoiding marinas just a choice of boat use. I'm guessing in the boating hierarchy there is a difference between someone who dumps a boat for 14 days legitimately and lives on it and someone who dumps a boat legitimately for 14 days and doesn't.

Your probably right, not to me though.

I appreciate there are loads of different "groups" of folks on the canal system, live aboards and non live aboards, some of whom keep their boats in marina's or on long term moorings, others who cc. Some who cc in accordance of the essence of the terms and others who sail pretty close to the wind. And that's just some of the circumstances of the folks responsible for the maintenance of the boats, then add into the pot the difference of the the boats themselves...Wide / narrow / long / not so long / historical / new builds / inboard / outboard / wood / steel / aluminum / plastic / shinny / dull / empty roof / roof full of "stuff" ect ect

Really the only thing we all have in common, is the canals & rivers and how we respect them and each other. Well that's my opinion anyway.

• Greenie 1

Idiot(s) whoever did it, and yes, there's lots of them so it's going to be a lot of CRT funds wasted if people are employed to attempt to remove it.

If you feel that strongly about it why not offer to help CRT remove it? I'm quite surprised how long it's been left there really.

Whilst I don't agree with it I must admit the devil in me thought it was quite clever.

I took the boat through Milton Keynes/Fenny Stratford a couple of times earlier this month.

Through the MK stretch, and particularly south of Fenny locks, there is a great deal of graffiti - all saying CuRnT. What does it mean? The letters are distinct, so it doesn't look like a tag. The fact that the letters C,R and T are capitalised seem to suggest it has some reference to CRT.

I read something about this recently, I can't remember where. It is an individual doing this as an anti-CRT thing

Richard

In days gone by , we used to regularity leave our boat during the week while we moved around the country at the weekends. Not avoiding marinas just a choice of boat use. I'm guessing in the boating hierarchy there is a difference between someone who dumps a boat for 14 days legitimately and lives on it and someone who dumps a boat legitimately for 14 days and doesn't.

At the end of the day a boat will be in the same spot for 14 days with or without someone on board. Personally all I see is a moored boat belonging to someone boating in a way that suits their lifestyle.

I appreciate there are loads of different "groups" of folks on the canal system, live aboards and non live aboards, some of whom keep their boats in marina's or on long term moorings, others who cc. Some who cc in accordance of the essence of the terms and others who sail pretty close to the wind. And that's just some of the circumstances of the folks responsible for the maintenance of the boats, then add into the pot the difference of the the boats themselves...Wide / narrow / long / not so long / historical / new builds / inboard / outboard / wood / steel / aluminum / plastic / shinny / dull / empty roof / roof full of "stuff" ect ect

Really the only thing we all have in common, is the canals & rivers and how we respect them and each other. Well that's my opinion anyway.

... and its an opinion I agree with too! have a greenie!

There are loads of dumpers around here. Virtually all of them move around though, as if by magic.

Plenty that I've NEVER seen a person aboard, yet they appear to me to move fully compliantly so they are doing nothing illegal. Some posters here just seem to like having a pop at them whenever they can.

I'd prefer to see the cut full of compliant dumpers than CMers taking over miles of towpath and claiming it for their own.

But I appreciate HaulierP's irritation with them though. Back in the winter I was the only occupied boat in a row of seven at Marsh Benham once. Irritating to see a decent VM full of unused boats for a fortnight.

(Doh, see what I did there?!!

Yeah, there are no VMs at Marsh Benham. Now Kintbury is a different matter. Plugged with empty boats most times I went by last winter. All the occupied boats were moored through the bridge on the extremely muddy towpath.

There are loads of dumpers around here. Virtually all of them move around though, as if by magic.

Plenty that I've NEVER seen a person aboard, yet they appear to me to move fully compliantly so they are doing nothing illegal. Some posters here just seem to like having a pop at them whenever they can.

I'd prefer to see the cut full of compliant dumpers than CMers taking over miles of towpath and claiming it for their own.

But I appreciate HaulierP's irritation with them though. Back in the winter I was the only occupied boat in a row of seven at Marsh Benham once. Irritating to see a decent VM full of unused boats for a fortnight.

(Doh, see what I did there?!!

Do you dump more than CC then? If so, that might be why you don't see the other boats move.

Good post Betty, although you have missed off the biggest differentiator of all - the toilet type ☺

• Greenie 1

Yeah, there are no VMs at Marsh Benham. Now Kintbury is a different matter. Plugged with empty boats most times I went by last winter. All the occupied boats were moored through the bridge on the extremely muddy towpath.

The VMs at Kintbury were plugged the whole winter by the same set of boats legitimately because they were all displaying winter mooring permits. A slightly different problem in my view.

Most were occupied IIRC.

The VMs at Kintbury were plugged the whole winter by the same set of boats legitimately because they were all displaying winter mooring permits. A slightly different problem in my view.

Most were occupied IIRC.

Yes, I wasn't concerned with the legitimacy. It was more the irony that occupied boats, where people were getting on & off every day for work etc, were moored out in the mud, (and that stretch don't half get muddy) Whereas the firm wharfside with reasonable, dry towpath, was taken up by boats that no-one was using.

That was my take anyway. Can't say that I was ever there in the evening to confirm my suspicions though.

Generally I find Kintbury far too noisy (& nosy) other than for the occasional overnight. It's much nicer through the bridge (mud excepting)