Trojan/Tacer/Mastervolt discrepancy??

swift1894

Featured Posts

Hmm. I noticed that My Mastervolt 12/2000 inverter had switched itself off yesterday! No mains power for fridge/freezer.

Why, why, why???

Checked the inverter manual and noticed in the technical data that "Input Switch off voltage high" is 16volts.

As per Trojan manual, Equalisation is 16.2volts, which I had programmed into my Tracer solar controller.

Could it be that the Tracer decided to go into Equalisation and the Inverter wasn't happy?

I've reduced the Eq down to 15.0 volts for the time being, and the inverter is working again.

Don't want a repeat scenario.

Yes, probably voltage too high for the inverter. You should only equalise Trojans when they need it, not routinely. I'd therefore limit the voltage to 15v or so and if you find the need to EQ then initiate it manually after switching off any services that might be affected.

My Tracer occasionally goes unannounced into Eq mode. It used to trip my inverter too, halfway through an absorbing PS3 game usually. I just re-programmed ALL the charge voltages to 14.9, including the Eq voltage. Now it doesn't drop to 'float', nor rise to 'Eq'.

Then just change the numbers when you want a decent Eq charge, with time to switch off your PS3 and inverter!

Yes, probably voltage too high for the inverter. You should only equalise Trojans when they need it, not routinely. I'd therefore limit the voltage to 15v or so and if you find the need to EQ then initiate it manually after switching off any services that might be affected.

Yes, that's what I thought would be the best thing to do.

Thanks.

I thought the Trojan equalisation voltage was 15.5, can you send a link to the document that says 16.2 please?

...............Dave

This document, table 4: http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

However elsewhere Trojan say different, it just depends which document you choose to look at.

And of course 16.2v at 25C is about 16.8v on a winter's morning. Ouch!

Edited by nicknorman

I thought the Trojan equalisation voltage was 15.5, can you send a link to the document that says 16.2 please?

...............Dave

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/T105_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

But I won't be going that high again.

And Trojan advise equalising monthly which I won't be doing either!

Edited by swift1894

And Trojan advise equalising monthly which I won't be doing either!

In one document they advise equalising monthly, in another they advise equalising only when the fully charged SGs are low or split. I'm inclined to go along with the latter.