Flooring for engine area

Kharikola

Featured Posts

Hexagrip or gorilla board is one option.

Also known as phenolic ply it is quite durable (often used for van or trailer interiors and deck boards on cruiser stern narrow boats. It is non slip.

A bit "industrial for internal use but some people like that and it would suit an engine room in my opinion. Don't know about fireproofing.

Are you talking about an engine "room" or any engine "bay" ie can you walk right round the engine standing up?

Nothing with a very modern engine.

Tends to get a bit oil stained otherwise.

Several boatmen in the 50s boasted of carpeted engine 'oles, showing how well they kept their engines.

(or how willing they were to roll them up before doing work!)

Hexagrip or gorilla board is one option.

Also known as phenolic ply it is quite durable (often used for van or trailer interiors and deck boards on cruiser stern narrow boats. It is non slip.

A bit "industrial for internal use but some people like that and it would suit an engine room in my opinion. Don't know about fireproofing.

Are you talking about an engine "room" or any engine "bay" ie can you walk right round the engine standing up?

Hi! Thanks for your reply! The board would cover the engine about a metre sq, so would have to be strong enough

Several boatmen in the 50s boasted of carpeted engine 'oles, showing how well they kept their engines.

(or how willing they were to roll them up before doing work!)

One of the narrow boats I previously owned had a Russell Newbery DM2 in a stern engine room. When I bought it there was deep pile carpet on the floor around the engine. I removed it as I thought it was ridiculous. I always wondered after that if it had been put in as soundproofing - it was pretty loud considering there was nothing between engine and steerer!

More accurate term might be "sound deadening" I suppose as it was not a barrier between sound source and ears but may have contributed to a reduction in reflected sound ? Possibly

Hi! Thanks for your reply! The board would cover the engine about a metre sq, so would have to be strong enough

18mm hexagrip would be fine - so would 18mm plywood. Not sure it's worth putting phenolic ply down unless it is subjected to heavy wear. Plywood painted with some sort of non slip additive would probably be just as good.

Typos

Edited by magnetman

One of the narrow boats I previously owned had a Russell Newbery DM2 in a stern engine room. When I bought it there was deep pile carpet on the floor around the engine. I removed it as I thought it was ridiculous. I always wondered after that if it had been put in as soundproofing - it was pretty loud considering there was nothing between engine and steerer!

More accurate term might be "sound deadening" I suppose as it was not a barrier between sound source and ears but may have contributed to a reduction in reflected sound ? Possibly

18mm hexagrip would be fine - so would 18mm plywood. Not sure it's worth putting phenolic ply down unless it is subjected to heavy wear. Plywood painted with some sort of non slip additive would probably be just as good.

Typos

Nothing with a very modern engine.

Tends to get a bit oil stained otherwise.

Yes, OK. but fluffy pink is just so last month!

Go retro, go lyno.

Edit out silly. !8mm hex works.

Edited by Taslim