The Holidays are coming only 5 weeks Stourport & black country rings

jacko264

Featured Posts

We are starting in Worcester and going up to Birmingham then carry on round the black country ring down the Severn down the Droitwich and back to Worcester in 13 days

Do you expert's think that sounds ok

By the way we would like to stop in Birmingham 2 or 3 nights

All comets welcome

Graham

I googled the Black country ring just in case it didn't mean the obvious Wolverhampton - Stourbridge - Dudley route and it turns out CRT definition is Brum & Fazeley - Coventry - T&M - Staffs & Worcs canals. Not my idea of The Black Country but it's certainly 2 weeks cruising if you're combining it with the Stourport ring.

If you are feeling adventurous I would recommend an excursion to the Curly Wyrley (Wyrley and Essington), via Walsall canal and then the Tame Valley to Rushall Junction. Surprisingly quiet and rural (except where you go over the M5). Would add (from memory) about another 16 locks.

I googled the Black country ring just in case it didn't mean the obvious Wolverhampton - Stourbridge - Dudley route and it turns out CRT definition is Brum & Fazeley - Coventry - T&M - Staffs & Worcs canals. Not my idea of The Black Country but it's certainly 2 weeks cruising if you're combining it with the Stourport ring.

Ah, then scratch my comments , I was assuming up to Birmingham and back down Stourbridge. So if it goes the longer route it is more of a 2 week trip.

We are starting in Worcester and going up to Birmingham then carry on round the black country ring down the Severn down the Droitwich and back to Worcester in 13 days

Do you expert's think that sounds ok

By the way we would like to stop in Birmingham 2 or 3 nights

All comets welcome

Graham

Two weeks will be fine for what you describe.

When you leave Worcester you are best clearing the town and getting to the visitor moorings at Tibberton. That's quite a long stretch but if you get away promptly and use the daylight hours in summer it's achievable. The ascent of the locks at Tardebigge and the adjacent ones at Astwood and Stoke will take less time than any standard planning aid will suggest. The locks have modest falls and big paddles so they empty and fill quickly. You may well find you are in Birmingham before the end of your second full day depending on the size of your crew. The boatyard will probably advise not mooring anywhere between Hopwood (south end of Wast Hill Tunnel) and the centre of Birmingham.

The suggestions above for detours on the BCN probably don't work very well wth your itinerary since the Birmingham to Wolverhampton section is the bit of the rings you are missing out in combining them.

After Birmingham you are out of territory I know well but you should have ample time even though you may find you are queueing at locks on the Trent & Mersey and Staffs & Worcs.

The River Severn section will also be quicker than you would probably expect. Stourport to Hawford Junction should take about two hours. The Droitwich Canals are idiosyncratic; the Barge Canal from the Severn is very picturesque but the locks are hard work. The Junction canal to Hanbury is just different. There are good moorings close to the middle of town in Droitwich. You will probably be best mooring back at Lowesmoor basin on your last night or otherwise go down to Diglis, wind in the basin and moor on the visitor moorings before heading home first thing on the last morning.

There are also a good number of places to visit on the route if you are inclined and have the time.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

• 3 weeks later...

You are obviously very excited Jacko264. Do you know the name of the boat? I will keep an eye out for you at Droitwich and maybe Brum as well. I often take a wander from Gas Street to Farmer's Bridge of a lunchtime.

JP