Boat sunk Cadley Lock no 54 Kennet and Avon

Sarahr

Featured Posts

Boat cilled in Cadley lock no 54 K&A canal the boat has sunk in the lock so it looks like the lock will be shut for a while. Emergancy services called to rescue those on board who all are safe and well but the canal is now shut here.

This is about a mile east of Wootton Rivers, for those not sure where Cadley Lock is.

And for those like me who don't know where Wootton Rivers is - it's about a mile west of Cadley Lock. ?

JP

Edit to add on a serious note that it looks potentially very nasty. Reminds me of a near miss I once had with a hire boat that caught on the cill. My natural reaction to drop the bottom paddles very quickly sent a wave down the lock which rebounded back off the top of the lock which the boat rode but the water came very close to overtopping the bow with my mother and (then) three year old daughter inside. I would honestly advise should it happen to you to lower paddles by winding them properly albeit with haste.

Thankfully no-one was injured in this recent incident but it could clearly have been much worse.

Edited by Captain Pegg

What's happened to local newspaper journalism? Get story from twitface, pictures from the emergency services, add a bit of background info straight from Wiki - job done. Every now and again it could even be accurate - Pulitzer prize in the post. Bah.