Cheaper WiFI solution?

RichM

Featured Posts

Thanks both - Decided to cancel the Yagi and go with what you suggested, though I opted for the smaller of the two NanoStations as it's cheaper and less prominent looking. - hopefully less likely to get stolen!

Although its range is less impressive than the Yagi, I like the idea of having my own onboard LAN and the admin interface/control panel for the NanoStation looks awesome.

I may be being a bit slow, but from the nanostation how do I create a wifi hot spot inside the boat. Do I plug this into a router or does it come with all I need. Also what type of power supply do I need?

I may be being a bit slow, but from the nanostation how do I create a wifi hot spot inside the boat. Do I plug this into a router or does it come with all I need. Also what type of power supply do I need?

I believe it acts as a wireless bridge and has its own wifi network to which you connect to. From there you configure it to connect to an external network SSID where you get your internet break-out. I could be mistaken(?) which is why I'm going to bring up some spare access points/routers just in case.

Out of the box, they are 12v but are converted to DC via the mains. It works but is not power efficient though it's all relative.

Edited by Armitage Shanks

I believe it acts as a wireless bridge and has its own wifi network to which you connect to. From there you configure it to connect to an external network SSID where you get your internet break-out. I could be mistaken(?) which is why I'm going to bring up some spare access points/routers just in case.

Out of the box, they are 12v but are converted to DC via the mains. It works but is not power efficient though it's all relative.

Sorry no. The LAN feed from the NanoStation can feed directly into a PC with LAN adaptor (Desktop/laptop) or it can feed into a WiFi router for private internal WiF network. You may need to reconfigure if recycling an old WiFi modem/router but the LAN cable would feed into any of the routers (typically three) LAN cable connections (not the WAN port).

Instructions I wrote here.

FWIW NanoStations are supplied with a mains adapter but will accept 10-30 volts DC. The power is injected in a break in the LAN cable using a suitable connector box, employing POE (power over Ethernet).

• 2 weeks later...

For that price you would be far better off with something like a USB connected Alfa device or LAN connected NanoStation, both with far more powerful transceivers and built in aerials.

Stay away from plain external aerials connected to feeble internal WiFi transceiver due to losses in cable.

Is this the same NanoStation?

I always harp on about this, but the cheapest solution is to use an unlimited data plan sim from 3.

Get an old iphone, jail break it, buy MyWi ($15).

You can hide the iphone in a window and keep it connected to a 5V source. Unlimited data, 3G or 4G speed (depending on area and model of iphone) for somewhere around £15 a month - maybe less, I haven't checked.

My grandson came in over the weekend and set my laptop up to receive 4G broadband.

The receiver is like a phone but without buttons or a screen. He said it was a SIM card holder.

That gets me connected to 4G (anywhere/everywhere ??).

I will use it to 'find' wi-fi spots for watching TV and streaming videos.

I have also been told the 4G broadband can find satellites for Sky receivers - but I don't know how at the moment.

One interesting point, initially using the internet to find a good 4G deal, it seems you would be better off going to phone shop because they have special annual contracts that they can set up..

In my case I wanted an annual 'pay-as-you-go' contract with a basic amount of data that I could top-up as I went if I needed to..

The only deals we could find on the internet were costly 2-year contracts that had to be renewed every monthly, where you 'lost' what was left of your data allowance.

My grandson said he will go to the shop to organise a contract for me.

It appears to be yes.

Excellent, thanks. I've ordered one together with an ethernet cable and will have a tinker plugged directly into laptop's ethernet port initially. If I can pick anything up (incidentally there are WiFi connections here I'm entitled to pick up if I can only reach them; not hacking) I'll get myself a cheap wireless router to plug into it. Thanks for the NanoStation tip, hadn't seen them before.