New lamps for old

Featured Posts

Finally, we've replaced all our halogen and LED amps and fittings with these 1.4w LED spotlights. The wooden backplate is in fact a wooden coaster I attached to all the lamps in order to cover the hole and fix securely. What a difference!

12963617_10154140901982959_4633380871712

13043396_10154140901977959_6831685674855

I think that's the same unit I used as a reading lamp in the bedroom, and very effective they are too in that application with a nice, tightly focused beam. You say "all" though, so I'm wondering why you didn't just replace at least some of the halogen lamps in your top photo with led equivalents?

Finally, we've replaced all our halogen and LED amps and fittings with these 1.4w LED spotlights. The wooden backplate is in fact a wooden coaster I attached to all the lamps in order to cover the hole and fix securely. What a difference!

12963617_10154140901982959_4633380871712

13043396_10154140901977959_6831685674855

That's just what I want as a reading light. Where did you get it?

Frank

I think that's the same unit I used as a reading lamp in the bedroom, and very effective they are too in that application with a nice, tightly focused beam. You say "all" though, so I'm wondering why you didn't just replace at least some of the halogen lamps in your top photo with led equivalents?

We did. That was the last and only one we hadn't changed, because we tended not to use it as it was in the bedroom and we'd already put in one of the brass spotlights.

For Slim and Bee: they're called Lumo ECO spotlight. Bought the original lot at Midland Chandlers where they were on sale (half-price). Then have picked them up in ones and two where we find a deal. Normally they're quite expensive.

I can see how there would be a massive difference, but surely there is a substantial deterioration in overall background light level with those tiny narrow beam spots compared to the previous wide beam down lights?

I can see how there would be a massive difference, but surely there is a substantial deterioration in overall background light level with those tiny narrow beam spots compared to the previous wide beam down lights?

I agree with you there Mike.

I guess there is more scope for more ( added ) " ambient " lighting with LEDs.

I`m looking at fitting LED strip lighting behind pelmets or down low along skirtings and kick boards .

Yes and no .

Depends on how one likes one's lighting, I never been a fan of fixed overhead (ceiling) lighting, whether at home or on the boat, and also like to be able to adapt the lighting to my mood/activity. While the overall amount of light is less, the new lamps give us the choice of a down (spot) light for reading, working etc. or, with a quick turn upwards, a warm ambient light reflecting off the varnished T&G ceiling. It's very cosy at night but certainly bright enough, and we have enough lamps to cover the main areas - kitchen, table, sofa, bed etc. + a couple of extras. (Actually, there is one 'old' light...in the bathroom).